Comp won't shut off - weird clicking sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haoming

Baseband Member
Hello,

My dad's having trouble with his computer and I guess I'm the most techy person in the family - I have no clue what the problem is though. Maybe a virus or a hardware problem? When he tries to scan with AVG free, the program shuts down. Yet, the comp. is quite old - about 4 years, so it could be something malfunctioning due to age.

Basically, the computer can turn on fine, everything runs smoothly like normal. But, when he tries to turn it off, the monitor will shut down (with the screen going black, which is normal) but the comp. will not shut down. Instead, the comp will make a clicking sound from the speakers. When I unplugged the speakers, the sound stopped and the computer shut off fine yet I do not think it's a problem with the speaker. I think it may be virus related instead because AVG free still gets killed when we try to scan the computer.

The computer's an Emachine running on XP home.

Thanks very much!

The comp's actually having trouble starting up now. Tried to download hijackthis on it but the screen went black and the comp started making the sound again. I'll wait a bit and see if it'll start again and then post a message. I suspect maybe a video card failure would cause a screen to go black?

the HD might be dieing, backup it up now

i dont think its an HD problem because when an HD starts to fail, its instant. gone, kapput, dead. it just sounds to me like a funky sound card, and the drivers are screwing with the operating system, though i still fail to see how having speakers plugged into an audio jack is directly linked the computer being on or not.

oohh from the speakers, i didnt read that bit, i thought he meant the sound was from the pc it self

Sorry for the super long wait. Now, the comp will shutoff automatically after awhile and then won't turn back on until I wait for a bit. I already have the log on that comp, but am waiting to turn it on again so I can email/usb it to my other pc. I should be able to post the log once I get back home.

Thanks for bearing with me guys - I really appreciate it!

Make sure all the fans are running, especially the cpu and psu fans. If the machine shuts off and wont come back on, its possible that it is overheating and has to cool down before it will power back on. This could also be the cause of it not shutting down correctly. If the cpu is too hot, it could just be locking up when you try to shut down.

Meh now it's having trouble booting >_>

I unplugged the power from the back, waited a bit, and replugged it in but when I replug it in the comp automatically turns on without me pressing the on button. I should rephrase that... the comp begins running but does not actually load (can't see anything on the screen)

Until I can get it booted I have no chance at getting that Hijackthis log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom