First Time Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, those look great too... I'm starting to get too sleepy to know the difference tho ;-) And thanks everyone for helping me! I'm off to sleep, but feel free to post more as I will be checking when I wake up!

here we go:

Power Factor Correction (PFC)

Power Factor Correction (PFC) allows power distribution to operate at its maximum efficiency. There are two types of PFC, Active PFC and Passive PFC. All of our power supplies are either Active PFC Power Supplies or Passive PFC Power Supplies.

Active PFC
The preferable type of PFC is Active Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) since it provides more efficient power frequency. Because Active PFC uses a circuit to correct power factor, Active PFC is able to generate a theoretical power factor of over 95%. Active Power Factor Correction also markedly diminishes total harmonics, automatically corrects for AC input voltage, and is capable of a full range of input voltage. Since Active PFC is the more complex method of Power Factor Correction, it is more expensive to produce an Active PFC power supply.

Passive PFC
The most common type of PFC is Passive Power Factor Correction (Passive PFC). Passive PFC uses a capacitive filter at the AC input to correct poor power factor. Passive PFC may be affected when environmental vibration occurs. Passive PFC requires that the AC input voltage be set manually. Passive PFC also does not use the full energy potential of the AC line

taken from here: http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/pfc.html

Okay your system looks great i just built like the exact same thing. last system in specs. The only thing is I would steer you to a better case. You cant go wrong with antec. I have owned like 4 different antec cases and loved them all. They also include quality psu's and super easy lay out designs inside. Go with the either the antec case that was posted before for 98 bucks or the antec sonata super quiet. Otherwise your system looks perfect.

Extended ATX is wider than regular ATX, 16x16 (?) as opposed to 16x10 (?) correct me if I am wrong on the sizes.. I can't remember exactly...

USUALLY extended ATX motherboards support dual processors and people use em for servers (heh, not rackmount, of course :D) or workstations. You don't need this feature, but dont exclude a case from your "wish-list" because it has or lacks this feature - nothing to be concerned about when choosing the right case.

Exactly. The screw holes are the same and the vertical dimensions are the same, and ATX motherboards will fit fine. (note: it said "Up to" exteded ATX, so anything under extended, ie Full-ATX (normal size these days) MicroATX, etc will fit perfectly.)

ok, one thing that most people seem to over look is the power supply! The one that u want to get (in that case with a top handle) says 400W, but IT IS NOT 400W!!! All Generic power supply's are misleading with wattage... and with a cheap power supply (like the one your getting) WILL blow and take your computer with it. I work at a computer store and I see this happening ALOT! people that have a dead pc cause of a cheap power supply! DO NOT go cheap on a p/s get an Antec, Thermaltake or Enermax minimum 420W!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom