Dumbest Mod you've made to get your pc to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Title explains it all.
Personally my worst mod was i took an old dell that was my grandmothers, and put it in an antec case. But Dell is the greatest pioneer of computer development and had an all cable hook up from the mobo to the power button. So to get the computer to work, i trashed the dell case cause thats what i do to things i love, i had to thread the power "strip" all the way back through the case, across some fans, under some ram, over a gpu and cpu, out a pci opening, and now i have to keep it off my carpet or else my computer will get zapped by static electricity and turn off. Its lots of fun for people who want to turn on the 3 monitor set up, but they can't figure out how.

I once modded a cooler for a TNT2 so I could overclock it further.

I put a northbridge cooler on the TNT2 (much bigger than the extremely crappy little cooler it came with)

then I cut up the lid of a 50 pack of CD-R's, and turned it into a fan duct

then I stuck a 120mm fan on the side of the card, using the duct I made. Then I used another 90mm fan for the back of it.

I used masking tape to hold it all together

I had pushed that card from having a 3dmark01 score of around 900 or so, to over 1600 (coupled with a Pentium 3 Coppermine at 1050MHZ)

I cut up one of those PCI slot fans that blows out the back of your computer to use on a videocard.

The aftermarket fan i put on my X850XT went out and i could not find a replacement. So i removed the old fan and "modded" the PCI slot fan to do the job. About 1/2 a tube of epoxy and some serious southern engineering and it was back up and running.

One added bonus was the tempuratures actually went down a couple of degrees after the mod. * says to self "i'm awesome!" *

I haven't had to ghetto-rig stuff to make it work, though I have had an assortment of ... weird little mods, most involving fans. I went crazy with fans at one point.

I was at a LAN party and we had a small airconditioner mounted in the window, I had the seat right next to it Sweet! I said! But it blew right on my ear and that was not comfy with my headphones so I cut the top of a plastic cookie box from Publix in half and used it point the air flow up and away from my frozen ear. It may not be exatcly what you were looking for but it did help lower the ambient temp of the room because I wasnt blocking air flow anymore, which could of helped with some oc's in the room... but im just reaching for that.

It may not be exatcly what you were looking for but it did help lower the ambient temp of the room because I wasnt blocking air flow anymore, which could of helped with some oc's in the room... but im just reaching for that.

You blocked airflow? I figured it would go in one ear and out the other :p

sorry had to lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom