AMD delivers a codename blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
i just got news from theinquirer.net about a bunch of codenames AMD is throwing out now left n right. Also there is little news about the 7xx Radeon graphics cards in bold.

"AMD tossed out a blizzard of codenames today, some new, some already leaked. Let's just say it put out a lot of info.
The first thing it said was that there will be a third Opteron platform in 2009, the first two being 940 and 1207. There are little hard specs on this, but if you know where to look, you can get some clues. From there, things got more specific. The platforms are based on memory, 940 was DDR, 1207 is DDR2, and the next one will be DDR3.

Randy Allen started off with 45 nanometre production coming in the second half of 2008, a bit of a slip from where it was last time it was dated. Those chips will lead off with Shanghai, the 45 nanometre Opteron. It will have 6MB of cache, core improvements, and can come in an MCM. That MCM is called Sandtiger, and it has 4 HT links.

The next code name is Hardcastle, the name for top to bottom business class machines. It isn't a single thing, more of a focus on what businesses need like thin and light notebooks, energy efficient desktops and the like. This hasn't really been a focus for AMD up until now, and it will be quite easy for it to gain share from the near zero it's at now.

The commercial platforms now are Brubridge on the desktop and "Kite" for mobile. These are replaced in 2008 by Perseus, and AM2+ based corporate desktop. It is up to a quad core with 2MB of shared L3 cache , and has HT3. The mobile refresh is Puma, and that is pretty well known now. It is basically Griffin with a 7xx series chipset.

That bring us to the core after Barcelona called Bulldozer and its little brother, Bobcat. This core will have a claimed 1.3 to 2x the IPC of Barcelona. Bulldozer is aimed at the current K8 market and Bobcat is aimed lower, think UMPCs and big cell phones. Bulldozer is in the 10-100W range, Bobcat in the 1-10 range with a bunch of overlap in the 10W range.

On the high end side, the new names are Spider and Leo. Spider is a Phenom X4, 2MB L3, and a 7xx series Radeon. Leo follows it up in 2008 with 6MB of L3, up to 4 GPUs, and a 55nm shrink of the 2900. It also has HT3.

A little down the food chain we have Pinwheel and Cartwheel, the 2007 and 2008 consumer desktops. Pinwheel is a current chip on a 690 board. Cartwheel has a 1MB L3 45nm CPU and an RD7xx chipset. Not much hugely exciting there.

In the end, quite a blizzard of upcoming products with not a great deal of detail to back this up. That detail will presumably dribble out over the next year or two."

Source

so my question is, should i wait for the 7xx Radeon to come out or wait for the 9800 in November?

UPDATE:

PC Perspective - AMD Analyst Day - Barcelona, Fusion and Beyond

more news from pcper.com, linked from engadget.com!

i think the real question, will you ever buy something or keep on waiting for the newer stuff to come out

If you keep waiting, you won't really get anywhere. Just get it, and upgrade later on.

i think the real question, will you ever buy something or keep on waiting for the newer stuff to come out

well i currently have no job, because no one is freakin hiring, been without a job for almost a year. My city is so populated n i just found out i got a $600 deposit in my acc from my mom n i need about $740. I can use that money to help upgrade to Vista Ultimate, another 1GB DDR 400, or 333 to get dual channel working, either a X1650XT or HD 2600XT to replace my 6600 LE, n possible a Seagate 250GB 7200.10 rpm SATA HDD.

i need a small upgrade is all, the real upgrade will happen in 2008, i just need a freakin job as soon as possible.

just pick a place with good benefits...say a computer store so u can get discounts on pc parts...or a car dealership so you can get discounts on service/parts/cars like me

Don't worry about Vista and save the money for it. Go for 2x1gig and sell your current RAM. Go for a X1950XT or PRO and sell your current card. Watch for sales on the 7200.10 drives, as they happen pretty often.

Too bad you're not in my area. Lots of jobs around here.

Don't worry about Vista and save the money for it. Go for 2x1gig and sell your current RAM. Go for a X1950XT or PRO and sell your current card. Watch for sales on the 7200.10 drives, as they happen pretty often.

Too bad you're not in my area. Lots of jobs around here.

hmm makes since for me to get Vista Ultimate 32-bit because 1) i always wanted to get it n 2) its like $50 or $60 more then XP Professional 32-bit, so y not just go to Vista? U see? I dont have XP Professional 32-bit setup CD, because mine is pirated.

hmm all i need is Kingston 1GB DDR 400 or 333, which ever that can dual channel my current Kingston 1GB DDR 333. As for the 512mb RAM, i can put that into other computers my dad currently has.

i cant sell my 6600 LE, because it malfunctioned n doesnt boot properly anymore, n i cant replace it because i got rid of my receipt probably many months ago, right before iGamez ran out of business, which is where i got it. It's actually probably been a year since they closed for good. Right now, i need to get a job as soon as possible n drive a lot more too. I rather feel comfortable getting the X1650XT because its cheap, better then the 6600 LE but by not far, n i will have it only until i get the 9800 or R700.

ill keep an eye out for the sales of the 7200.10 drives, thx.

DUDE.
save your money until you find a job.
i cant believe this conversation is even taking place.
seriously...your MOM is putting money in your bank account...you have no job....and you are going to buy new parts for your rig..?
i dont want to make you feel like a loser, but...um. yeah.

DUDE.
save your money until you find a job.
i cant believe this conversation is even taking place.
seriously...your MOM is putting money in your bank account...you have no job....and you are going to buy new parts for your rig..?
i dont want to make you feel like a loser, but...um. yeah.

i know, its more wise to save money, n ill do that instead, sry if i sound like a dork.

back on topic, what do u think of the AMD codename lineup?

I like the sound of what is coming down the road. I also like the way AMD plays it close to their vest.

Now to see how all of this pans out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom