A Question Regarding TV Tuners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freebirth

Baseband Member
I am going back to college in about a month and with my new rig and 22" display, I've decided not to take my television back with me. Instead, I'd rather get a TV tuner and watch television on my PC. I don't really know much about tuners so here is my question:

What is the best tuner to get and is there anything I should know before I get one?

if you want HDTV (and you should) you should get the Kworld 115 pci hdtv tuner. if your college has cable in the dorms you'll be able to set up clear qam which is unencrypted hdtv through cable, or you can buy a cheapo hdtv antenna and set that up if you live near a city or some broadcasting towers.

of course, it also tunes the regular cable and antenna channels. its pretty sweet, i use it with my htpc setup at school.

if I pay for digital cable would that card work like the tuner boxes you get from your cable company?

im not sure. i'd be able to let you know in late september when i go back to school :)

if my understand is correct however, it ought to work. but if you pay for digital cable, dont you get a box anyway?

The box is a decrypted to access the digital content. If you run off a coax cable, then you only get regular channels. You can though use the box as a converter and the input card are a receiver.

that sounds right. it makes good sense. is there a way to split the hdmi from the set top box? (and be able to tune two different channels?) my guess is no :(

i think its possible cus a friend of mine did something similar.....but then again im not sure if he just had two coaxial outlets right next to each other on the wall....but if i remeber correctly, he split it..and watched two diffrent channels at the same time but only one of them had all the channels, the other had only the basic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom