I have a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom555

In Runtime
Hi,
Is there any OS which is under 10 MB of size? I am asking this because my LT Armada 1500c is not working, even its cd-rom is not working! So i am not able to install any OS! So perhaps there exists an OS which could be loaded thru the floppy discs alone! Is there any?

---------------
phantom

Hi,
Is there any OS which is under 10 MB of size? I am asking this because my LT Armada 1500c is not working, even its cd-rom is not working! So i am not able to install any OS! So perhaps there exists an OS which could be loaded thru the floppy discs alone! Is there any?

---------------
phantom

respect

you have a LOT of self control. if my computer didnt even let me install an OS, id throw it out the window.

but like ^ said, ms dos is about the only thing i can think of, unless there's some extreme version of linux for memory pens lol.

$opening = "::wavewave::";

$echo = "There are many OS's out there that are small enough to fit on a thumb drive, but as they said, MS-Dos is the only one under 10 Megs. Windows has several OS's created for thumb drives, but I doubt they were built by Microsoft. XPE is one of them, around 500 Megs I think, and they have smaller, I currently have WinXP that's around 100 or so Megs. I'm a computer tech, and have to use them quite often. Can turn your USB drive into a bootable OS, most programs you download will come with instructions.

Also, there are many, many different types of USB Linux. From DamnSmallLinux, to Linux USB, to PenDriveLinux.

But of course, that is only if you want to use your thumb drives to run your computer, but I suspect you want a small OS to install onto your hard drive. And in all honesty any OS you find that is 10 Megs or under will not be an OS you'll want to use for very long. Most hard ware, almost all software, and almost every game will not work on that computer.

To install a full OS to your hard drive with out using a floppy, you'll need the OS (can be downloaded), and make your USB device bootable (can google it, will have to download some files). That way your USB device will become like a CD and CD-ROM itself. The full version of Windows XP is around 600 ~700 MB's.

If your computer does not have USB ports, then the only two options are MS-DOS on floppies, or buy/borrow a CD-ROM from any other computer temporarily, to plug into your computer long enough to install any OS.";

$ending = "Sorry for such a long post. There wasn't enough information in the opening post for me to give accurate information/advice on. Good Luck, and let us know how things go!";

Hi,
Mainly HP LTs already have a base DOS OS. I have a pen drive but i don't know how to configure it to install an OS. What i did some weeks ago... i copy pasted win95 and inserted the pen drive into my LT. I think as my LT is of 1996 make, it doesn't supports booting through USB port!

------------------
phantom

I would suggest DSL (D*mn Small Linux) but if you can't use a USB port I don't know if you can install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom