DVD burner not compatable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I just got a new computer and I can't get my dad burner hooked up because there aren't enough pins on the ribbon cable to make it fit . There is one cable that will fit but it is being used for the 2 hard drives. is there any way to hook the dvd burner up to the small ribbon cable?

Are you trying to hook up a floppy cable to the DVD drive? What motherboard do you have and what is your current setup?

the mobo is a Intel D946GZISSL and i have 2 hdds using the one ide ribbon . on my old comp there was room for the dvd but now thers one plug left but it has too few pins to fit.
is there any way to get the dvd hooked up and keep both hard drives hooked up?? i really need them both.

Sadly, this board has only one IDE cable slot. This means that you can only put a maximum of two IDE devices on that cable onto the slot. Do you have any PCI slots available?

One drive has the O/S and the second can be removed without affecting booting (meaning that the second is for data, not O/S), correct?
If so, run the second drive off this and use the DVD and primary drive with the current IDE cable.

1st drive has os (won't boot since it came outta an old amd system. 2nd is files

HMm that does look good but in the reviews it says does not do well with optical drives which is the sole purpose i would get it.

Edit: is there any sort of adapter that can convert ide into sata so i can plug my hdds into that and the dvd into the ide cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom