New to AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev2323

In Runtime
Ok, couple of questions. I have always built Intel systems, but I am going to build an AMD one for my next gaming rig. I was looking to get this motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Above link is the ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe.

Anyways, it says the FSB is 1000MHz, but it takes DDR2 800 ram standard. This is a little confusing, because if memory is bottlenecking the speed at 800MHz, why even have the board rated up to 1GHz? Am I missing something here or is there something different with AMD stuff I am not privy to?

Thanks for your help.

The system I was looking to build was that board, 2G ram, Athlon X2 5200+ CPU, and an 8800GTS 640MB gfx card. I was going to just get the one video card and then eventually get two when I have more funds and run them in SLI. Is this a good way to go? Looking for a system that will potentially last me a few years for gaming, and trying to prepare for games like Crysis and Warhammer. Thoughts?

I hear that the 8800GTS 320 is the popular one, best bang for your buck theory. ...

You know, I've always been a AMD guy anre really never noticed that the FSB and memory were different... maybe I just didn't pay attention.

The intel is currently beating AMD in gaming/multi-tasking/pretty much everything with their current line of processors, E6600 and up. I'm not saying that you have to use intel, but just thought I'd post the info.

I would look at the board, but newegg seems to have died, won't load up, so I'll look later...

Don't worry about SLI. It's just not worth it. When you get ready to upgrade graphics, go with a single card of whatever is top. Right now a single 8800GTX will outperform two 8800GTS. This will hold true as cards advance.

I've never noticed the difference either. hmm..
And do what trotter said. sli (imo) is a waste of money and always will be.

but I am going to build an AMD one for my next gaming rig

Can you tell us why you want to build AMD build ? Intel is currently much better, and there processor overclocks very well

For your information, AMD is not better for gaming.......It is your choice but I'm giving you an advice...........

AM2+ and AM3 all the way woooo!!!!!!! your choice atm intel is ahead but with am2+ amd is suppose to reclaim the lead but who can really tell until the benches are produced

But don't forget that there are many intel mobo that support intel upcoming 45nm processors......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom