Network Cable Unplugged..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link2181

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone...

Please bare with me as I am trying to recall everything that has happened in the past 48 hours.

My older brother who is VERY computer illiterate and lives about 25 hours away called and said his internet hadn't been working for about a week. The very small cable/dsl provider has been to his house and fixed some outside wires or something from a bad storm.

He doesn't connect the computer to a cable modem but merely a place in his wall which then runs outside to a box.

He has connected another friends computer, and his xbox to the current line using the current ethernet cable and all can access the internet. So the problem must be software or hardware?

When he does ipconfig /all he gets a media state disconnected and NO IP at all, so there is nothing to ping.

He has installed a new NIC as the other was onboard, the NIC comes up in System Devices just fine with no errors, but he isn't getting any lights on the card. It's a cheap Network Everywhere card made from Linksys which I don't think is supported in Windows XP.

Any suggestions to fixing this? I have had him do every possible netsh command, and lastnight he was so ticked off he reinstalled windows after wiping it clean *yes very irrational*

Please help

Yes he did, he used one that worked for his Xbox live, and the one he is currently using worked for his friends laptop.

You have to click on properties and make sure your network connection is configured to use new nic card and not still pointed at onboard device.

In system devices the NIC card seems to be functioning correctly and is being detected.

Under the network connections, the new NIC card is the one being used, I have even had him disable the onboard nic.

yep, that would have been what he meant. it sounds to me like the card isnt configured correctly. btw just because no lights come on doesnt mean there is a problem. Tell him to manually set the ip address and default gateway for the new NIC.

I've had him use the IP and Gateway that came up when his Xbox Live got connected, and still a no go.

Hopefully he can get to a store that has a NIC card so he can give another a go. He lives in a really small town in Northern MN..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom