DVD/RW-ROM malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmass

Baseband Member
I've had my DVD writer for about 5 years now (maybe a little less) and I think it might be going. The problems I am experiencing are as follows:

After it reads a dvd (not necessarily a movie), when I take that dvd out and put in a new one, it restarts my computer, but when the computer comes to load windows is restarts again. This recurs until I remove the DVD from the drive.

I have tested this problem 4 times with the exact same symptoms. It has been suggested that there may be a short in my hard drive. Any ideas? Thanks.

Okay, I just turned that off, but doesn't that mean instead of restarting when I get this problem, the OS will just crash and I will have to restart manually?

Right so I did what you said, and this time I happened to be burning backup DVDs because I'm getting ready to reformat (going through old backups to see what I already had on discs was how I discovered the problem in the first place). Anyways, right after burning my second backup (and I'm not ever sure if anything burned) I got a blue screen error message telling me windows crashed and to restart. So, as I figured, that wasn't very helpful. Any other ideas?

If someone you know has a DVD burner they would let you try in your PC, you could find out if it is the drive. DVD burners are getting cheaper everyday. If you've had it for 5 years, maybe it is time for a new one.

I agree with gospel, i'm as broke as the next guy but splurge man buy a new one. and save yourself the headache. even a cheap new one is better than a good 5 year old one.

Right so I did what you said, and this time I happened to be burning backup DVDs because I'm getting ready to reformat (going through old backups to see what I already had on discs was how I discovered the problem in the first place). Anyways, right after burning my second backup (and I'm not ever sure if anything burned) I got a blue screen error message telling me windows crashed and to restart. So, as I figured, that wasn't very helpful. Any other ideas?

Blue screens occur when a system error occurs. So, if you know a blue screen appears, then you know a system error occurred. It's not there just to turn your face blue.

You won't know if there's a blue screen unless you turn off automatic restart.

Blue screens often provide the user with a STOP error message (stating the file it thinks is at fault, and a description, as well as an error number) which is important in diagnosing the cause of the BSOD, therefore the problem.

Have you read the text on any of the BSODs you've had, and is there any said information provided? Or have you just ignored it completely?

Both my 5 year old drive and my newly purchased drive work perfectly fine, but given the errors I'm getting here, aswell as other performance errors, and driver errors, video and sound errors, I think it's time for me to reformat. I haven't done so in about 8 months now anyways. I don't feel the problem is worth trouble shooting at this point.

by stopping the auto restart.. u can reboot if u want to, and u can copy down the error, and google it or ask about it here.. which is useful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom