Oh my gawd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
I have my 8800GTX as well as my 2GB RAM sitting in my computer, but that doesn't matter right now as I am going to have to wait till tomorrow before I can get it running.

Somehow, I can't figure out, the heatsink on my CPU got disconnected halfway as I was installing the hardware and the thermal grease got all f***ed up, now when I try to run my computer the temps on my CPU rise as high to automatically shut down my computer. Naturally I don't have any thermal grease onhand, looks like I am going to have to wait till tomorrow after I get off work and I'm going to have to run to Microcenter or someplace and buy some AC5.

I know your supossed to use isopropyl alcohol to remove the current stuff, but would any sterilizing pads with isopropyl work? Or should I buy something else to use?

Right now I'm on my step-dad's computer looking at my computer, there has been so many delays and finally to get it in my hands and still have to wait another day, even worse I can't use my computer at all till I fix this.

I have my 8800GTX as well as my 2GB RAM sitting in my computer, but that doesn't matter right now as I am going to have to wait till tomorrow before I can get it running.

Somehow, I can't figure out, the heatsink on my CPU got disconnected halfway as I was installing the hardware and the thermal grease got all f***ed up, now when I try to run my computer the temps on my CPU rise as high to automatically shut down my computer. Naturally I don't have any thermal grease onhand, looks like I am going to have to wait till tomorrow after I get off work and I'm going to have to run to Microcenter or someplace and buy some AC5.

I know your supossed to use isopropyl alcohol to remove the current stuff, but would any sterilizing pads with isopropyl work? Or should I buy something else to use?

Right now I'm on my step-dad's computer looking at my computer, there has been so many delays and finally to get it in my hands and still have to wait another day, even worse I can't use my computer at all till I fix this.

Things happen for a reason at least thats what I think, besides waiting a little more when you almost ""had it" is something that make you exited...in some way..

The best possible feeling you will have is tomorrow when you arrive from your work and FINALLY finish your upgrade ;) .

BTW some pics would be nice..

dude be careful as the AS5 instructions says, a modern day cpu processor can be damaged in less then 10 seconds without a heat sink on it ( or a properly installed heat sink on it with thermal paste )

The CPU isn't damaged as far as I can see, it keeps shutting down because the temps were starting to get a little over 90C!!! Automatically shuts down when it passes 80C, just after I reset it I checked the BIOS and see 92C, instantly shut it off when I saw that lol. I need to replace the thermal grease, also, it's hard to damage CPUs like that, since it usually shuts it self down before it can damage. CPUs can run over 100C, but I think we all know it isn't exactly healthy on it.

I'm not extremely POed by it, it's just a huge inconviencence. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow, might see if I can call it off.

It can run for about 4 minutes before it shuts down, just enough time for me to download the drivers and install them, restart, and shuts down right when I was about to reset my resolution. After that it was running very hot and decided just to not bother till I can put a new layer of thermal grease.

Don't run it. 80C is a little dangerous for the health of the CPU in my opinion.

I just used plain paper towels to wipe off old arctic silver. I didn't use any alcohol compounds and my Pentium4 stays around 37-42C stock with a Arctic cooling heatsink.

Paper towels can leave lint behind. Sterilizing pads have no lint, so they should be fine. Just try not to make a mess and let it dry well before applying the paste. Alcohol dries extremely fast, so it won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom