First time building.. Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinsil

Baseband Member
Here's what I'm currently thinking I'll go with. I have no idea what power supply or other cooling things I should be using. I'm also wondering how hot or loud the computer will be, and if there are things I can do to help with that. Planning to go with onboard sound card, not sure if that's a great idea or not. Forgot to mention that this will mostly be used for gaming, but nothing like Oblivion on max settings. Have a budget of around $1000-1200.

Motherboard:
ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Link to Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
Link to Processor

Video card:
XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
Link to Video Card

Memory:
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Link to Memory

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Link to Hard Drive

Optical Drive:
SAMSUNG Black Optical Drive
Link to Optical Drive

Speakers:
Logitech S-100 BLK 5 Watts RMS 2.0 Speaker
Link to Speakers

Hey Tinsil,
Welcome to T.F.!!

Here is a recommended list, for your budget:
Case - Thermaltake Armor or Antec 900 or Your choice...
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 CAS4
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply - Corsair 520HX (From buy.com)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB Cache
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (From svc.com)

Comes to around $1170.

definitly go with apl's build. Good set up dude. Although im sure you can get everything you need on newegg and save a couple bucks on shipping...Unless they do what they did to me and ship from three different places. Everythings arriving on a different day and shipping was $50 O_O

(are the XFX cards still sucky like they were a year ago?)

So is the setup b1gapl used going to be fairly quiet and cool? I don't know if I will overclock, but if I decide to would it be okay? Also I don't know if I could go with that setup because $1200 is just about my max, and I'd still need a copy of Windows XP.

If you want to save some more money, then I'd suggest dropping the processor down, to the Intel Core 2 Duo E6550. It is about $50 cheaper, and will overclock just as well. Don't worry about overclocking. It's as safe and easy as pie.

Also you can drop the case to a cheaper one (with rebate), such as the Antec P180. This one is a very quiet case, I've heard.

Okay, thanks a bunch. Also, is there any difference between the Seagate HD and Western Digital?

Okay, thanks a bunch. Also, is there any difference between the Seagate HD and Western Digital?

Theres not that much difference. Either company you go with, is great. People sometimes, prefer Seagate, because they have 2 more years of warranty, than WD. Seagate, also has been reported, to have the least failure rate, among all the hard drive brands.

I would go for the seagate.

although WD has a 320 gig for 70 bucks O_O. Im not sure if seagate has near that or not.

For about $10 more, you get 2 more years of warranty, and a little bit of a faster hard drive, with the one I suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom