My first build...advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankfishin

Baseband Member
I've been browsing this forum for the last several months periodically. Love the information and have learned quite a bit about hardware but still have no real experience building a computer. I will be using this system mainly for web development, light graphic design, and video processing. Mostly will be playing WOW, about the only game I spend time on. Please give me any suggestions where I might have more than I need and can cut my costs without any real performance drop. Also if you see an upgrade that will not blow my pocketbook but would be worth it please mention it. My budget is right around $1400. Would love to be able to drop it but don't mind going over a little if necessary.

Newegg wish list is here https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=6246866&WishListTitle=knord+build

And here are the parts....am I missing anything?

LIAN LI PC-7A plus II Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P3 550W ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

MITSUMI Beige 2.0MB 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 digital card reader and Floppy Drive ,Black Bezel Replacement Included Model FA404M BG - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Retail

Logitech G5 2-Tone 7 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Current est. cost is about $1470 and I still need an OS...probably going with XP.

Thanks....

Hey Bankfishin,
Welcome to T.F.!!

I can see you've done your homework. Great choices there.

You can save about $10, getting the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, at svc.com instead. Heres the link:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler for LGA775

Well one unncessary thing, on the lists, is that G15 keyboard. Although it's great for gaming, and stats. I don't see the need for it, in your situation, since you're primarily playing just WoW, which is completely playable on a normal cheap keyboard. But it's your choice.

I also don't see the need for a G5 laser mouse, when the MX518 can do just as good for cheaper:
Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail
Again this is your choice. I'm just making some suggestions, to save you a bit of money.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was wondering about the keyboard I'd like something I can put macros on, whats a cheap alternative with that feature?

Also I realized after I posted that of all the posts I've read never seen anyone mention the NIC they will need or anything about firewire or usb ports. Are these on the motherboard or do I need to get extra cards for these as well?

Other than that all the parts are gonna fit and be compatible?

Also is there a benefit or drawback to SATA or IDE on the DVD/CD Drive? ANd I've seen some as E-IDE. What's that about?

Yes...all the parts are compatible, and will fit.

As for the NIC, firewire, and USB ports. Your motherboard has all of those included. So don't worry.

I do not know of another cheaper keyboard, with that feature.

Good advice on the input parts. I'll reconsider the keyboard for sure and maybe the mouse. I won't notice the difference between 2000dpi and 1600 dpi?

I had another question on the OS. Is there a good reason to spend more for the XP Home edition with SP2 or SP3? I've heard that the easiest XP to upgrade to Vista is the Home edition so figured I'd go that route for now.

Don't know much about dpi, but it doesn't look like, there would be much difference, unless you're looking for it.

Vista, I think is getting a little better, as months move by. I'd say go with Vista, if you plan on gaming in DX10. If not stick with XP, and upgrade to Vista, when the first service pack releases.

Good advice on the input parts. I'll reconsider the keyboard for sure and maybe the mouse. I won't notice the difference between 2000dpi and 1600 dpi?

I had another question on the OS. Is there a good reason to spend more for the XP Home edition with SP2 or SP3? I've heard that the easiest XP to upgrade to Vista is the Home edition so figured I'd go that route for now.

yeah theres a pretty noticable difference in 1600 and 2000 dpi. normally i set my g7 at 1600 for fps games. at 2000, you turn all the way around in bf2 when you move your wrist like an inch. seriously. i havent gotten used to that (i really dont like it, actually), but i heard once you do you can pretty much rule fps (if you are any good to begin with).

you would notice it if you're used to the 2000dpi and then suddenly drop. But that's not a big deal.

As for a cheaper and good keyboard, Saitek eclipse's are my favorite.
the mx518 is great too. Im partial to this mouse. It's odd shape takes a few hours or days to get used too but this thing has never failed me.

I'm not 100% on that PSU though...I know I've been slacking in the paying-attention-to-computers part of my life but i've never heard of XCLIO GREATPOWER.

EDIT-oh, and you might want to double check your wishlist. Some items are out of stock brotha!

XClio is not as known as Corsair or FSP, but it's not a bad company. It's actually a very good company, which makes very good power supplies for the money.

To be honest, for the things which you plan to use this RIG for, I think that 8800GTS is ultra overkill. If your playing WoW, save $$$ and get 7600GT, or 1650XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom