Windows Xp freezes during OS installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pen16

Solid State Member
I trying to wipe a computer. It's a Compaq Presario SR2020NX. I used Derrik's boot n' nuke and wiped it with three passes. The first time I wiped the drive, it froze while it was wiping it. But I wiped it again with three passes and it worked fine. I then tryed installing windows XP but while it tries to load all of the drivers to start the installation, it freezes. I have used this disc for several other computers and it has worked fine. I reset the system and tried again but it freezes at a different point. I figured it must be a hardware problem but i don't know. Does anyone know? Any help would be much appreciated.

Maybe the hard drive is partially proprietary? I kinda doubt it though...
Make sure the disk isn't scratched. Also possible that the hard drive is dying.

Welcome to Tech Forums!

Ok, this may help. Just the other day, I tried to reinstall xp pro and I suffered from the same thing.
I had been wanting to install vista so I got fed up trying to do xp and went ahead with vista.
Guess what? Darn vista wouldn't install. Then I started eliminate hardware. I disconnected both hd's, 320 and 500g.
My install went smooth after that.

Take a look at your hardware. That could be your issue too.

Good luck

Hi man. Did you had a previous OS installed or are you installing on a fresh formated drive?

Um, I don't think the hard drive is dieing, the computer isn't even a year old but I guess it could be possible. I checked the hardware and everything is hooked up right and in place. The hard drive used to have windows XP on it but it was going haywire from poor upkeep and I figured the easiest way was to wipe (format) and start anew.

OK, I had the exact same problem with my sister's (1 year old) laptop (from gateway). I've tried ****ing everything but the drivers on the XP boot cd wouldn't load. Turns out her hard drive was dieing and eventually it died completely. If you are sure that your hard drive is healthy and the boot cd wouldn't load, you have to format the drive using a system cd or the best way to do it is via another PC.

Good luck

MrWiggle

Straight From The War Zone

the best way to do it is via another PC.

As long as the other PC has the exact same hardware... otherwise you'll run into driver pains.

That is strange that Boot n nuke didn't work. Maybe try just using FDisk to do an initial format and get rid of all the partitions?

ssjheero_yuy99, No man... I meant that the formating ONLY! should take place using another PC, not the XP installation process. Once the drive is formated, there is no way that the XP boot cd wont work. If so, the drive is ****ed.

ssjheero_yuy99, No man... I meant that the formating ONLY! should take place using another PC, not the XP installation process. Once the drive is formated, there is no way that the XP boot cd wont work. If so, the drive is ****ed.

Yes, but he did say he boot n' nuked it successfully with 3 passes. Is this not a format?

Yes, its better letting windows format the drive as well. Use book n' nuke to destroy all old data, then allow windows to do a full format on the drive. (don't skimp with the quick format, do the full).

OK, I'll try from Windows and another computer. The more replies I see the more I think it might be the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom