Upgrading Laptop memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
Ok, so I own a gatewayMX6484 and it has 1 gig of ram ( 2-512 chips).
I think I would like to upgrade to maybe 2 gigs or 1.5, but I do not know what type of memory I need. I checked the user manual and owners manual and and it didn't tell me. so how can I figure out what type of memory I need and is installing laptop memory easy ?

Hey Monkey,

Download a program, called CPU-Z. Then go to the memory and SPD tabs to find out, your type of memory.

Thanks!
I will do this when I get home from work.
Is installing laptop memory anymore difficult then a desktop?

Not really. Just open it up, and install. Should be simple.

I was looking up specs, for your laptop, and it uses DDR2 200-pin SO-DIMMs.

hmm..
soo.. do you guys think it is worth it to upgrade to 2 gig of ram for my laptop?
Im running a (2x) turion 1.6 ghz with an ati 1150 vid card, and windows media center and I use it for mostly music, videos and photo editing. I play a few games on the side, nothing to heavy cause its a laptop. what do you think yay or nay on upgrade

Well the extra RAM will help, with your video and photo editing. Maybe a little on the gaming side.

2GB of RAM for the laptop, cost about $80-90 for a good cheap set.

Make sure your laptop will actually support that much though...

Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Determine My Memory Needs

Crucial provides a memory scanner that will tell you exactly what you have and how much you can install. It will provide what you already found out with CPU-Z, but will also tell you the maximum amount of memory your computer can accept, and the max amount per slot.

good to know if one slot can only take 1GB or if one slot can take a 2GB chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom