AM3 release and AM2+ mobo availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
I have been away from the hardware scene for over a year so i am obviously way behind on the times. Is it still true that AM3 socket tech for mobos is postponed till 2008? and what mobos are currently out there supporting AM2+ socket tech with HT3? I obviously want the extra head room for the phenomx4 when it arrives shortly........

I noticed biostar are doing an AM2+ socket model, anyone else???

I wouldnt upgrade to am2+ or AM3 until they come out, as far as I know right now that biostar is the only am2+ board, and its not even a true am2+ board, just a modified am2. AM3 I dont think is until mid 08, though the phenom quads should be out i think fall.

Yeah pretty much all the new cpu's and sockets will be backwards compatible from what I understand, ie an am3 processor will work with an am2+ board, am2+ cpu works with am3 and am2 board.

im not sure what you mean in your comment that the biostar am2+ board is not a true am2+ board, it may be a modified previous model but does it not have HT3? this is the only fundamental difference between a true am2 and a true am2+ am i right?

The new AMD quad core models due for 2008 will be able to run on AM2 boards according to some information seen. The AM2+ boards mainly will be those seen running DDR3 240pin memory which simply means the same type of dimm running at faster speeds starting at 800/1006 and higher mhz there.

im not sure what you mean in your comment that the biostar am2+ board is not a true am2+ board, it may be a modified previous model but does it not have HT3? this is the only fundamental difference between a true am2 and a true am2+ am i right?

It will run am2+, but like I said its a half assesed modified am2 board. It wasnt designed from the start to go am2+. I wouldnt even consider buying an am2+ mobo until companies like gigabyte/asus/DFI/msi get in on it. Considering the processors arent even out yet, there is no reason for an am2+ board right now.

umm, ok ive read that am2+ is ddr2 only still, with HT3 as only benefit over am2. Phenom cards running on am2+ boards will be constrained to ddr2. Am i wrong?

You will most likely find that the + means a faster bus for DDR3 memory more then anything. For AMD the same cpus will be able to run there as well.

Yup.

Considering ddr3 wont really be adopted as the standard memory at least until sometime next year.. heck, DD2 is only just now finding the huge install base that ddr1 had. I see no reason to buy a ddr3 mobo, or am2+ mobo right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom