antistatic wristband...need ya'lls help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic~Fury

Baseband Member
I have all the essentials to build my pc NOW!!! and thus I want to as soon as possible. I cannot afford a wristband and won't be able to for a looong time. So, is there anything I can use as a substitute? Perhaps resourceful things typically laying around a house? Or something conveniant? Thanks

Yeah... personally, wrist straps annoy me... so i just rest a hand or arm on some metal on the case while I am touching processors, ram, mobos, etc. And I ground myself to a real ground (sink or outlet) on occasion too. An antistatic wriststrap is just a wire that goes around your wrist and connects to the case, BUT with a 1 megaohm resistor in between.... thats to keep you from getting zapped to death if you touch a hot wire...

so what if I take a copper wire and wrap it around my arm, grounding the other end to a, umm, the case???

not to sound out of place, but how much money were the ones you were looking at? cause i got mine for liek 7 bux

Are they really that useful? I've always been fine just touching the case now and then... never static'd anything

what you're really supposed to do to ground yourself is stand on a rubber mat, and touch the screw on the faceplate where the electrical outlets are.. not inside the holes lol.. just the screw. and then *drum roll* you're grounded! and all is well

Guys, I just wanted to let you know, you have to have the power plug in the computer for it to do anything, and you should touch the powersupply, or the part of the case that is closest to it.

You just set the stuff down on a table, touch a piece of metal, dont wear socks...its all good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom