Good clean method for installing xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
I want to install xp pro again and make sure it installs my dual core.
What steps from start would you suggest.
When i start up from boot they get complicated.
Im not sure if i should format the partition first then install. or what.
please help
thanks

when you say re format..will their be an option to refomat when i load the setup from start up?

Or do you think a win xp repair will fix it?

Windows XP Repair? That seems like you're just going to reformat your HDD. Well, from what I remember when this happened to me, I inserted the CD and booted it from the Options Boot screen. Selected my optical drive as a boot, and it loaded the Windows SP2 setup (it was a blue screen) it went through all the other steps and then it came to the partition screen. There should be 2 options, a quick option and a regular option. I chose the regular option to delete my partition and everything went fine afterwards.

But that was after I got a new HDD. Before when I had the Maxtor, everything wasn't going as I thought it would be.

hey I FINALLY GOT IT FIXED. i did a full re format again and everything works.
The sound and dual core.
SWEET.
I read that i might have to download the win xp patch and dual core optimizer? and do something with the boot.ini.
Is this necessary?

hey I FINALLY GOT IT FIXED. i did a full re format again and everything works.
The sound and dual core.
SWEET.
I read that i might have to download the win xp patch and dual core optimizer? and do something with the boot.ini.
Is this necessary?
The first thing I do when I install Windows is install the drivers, then I disable a whole bunch of Windows services (system restore, remote access, windows update, security centre, error reporting, help and support, fast user switching etc..), alter paging file settings (I disable it on my system with 2GB RAM), disable some animations

THEN I install my programs

is system restore really bad?
i like it enabled just in case something goes wrong.
what services do i disable.
I do have 2 gigs of ram so i guess ill disable paging file

is system restore really bad?
i like it enabled just in case something goes wrong.
It's not really bad, but I just don't use it.
By the time something might go very wrong, I'll probably be reinstalling XP anyway.
what services do i disable.
I've listed some in my previous post.

disable remote assistance (in properties in my computer), remote registry, fast user switching (if you only use one username), help and support (as if that was ever much help anyway), indexing service, messenger, netmeeting remote desktop sharing, remote desktop help session manager, remote registry, security centre, task scheduler, wireless zero configuration (only if you don't use a wireless card).

I do have 2 gigs of ram so i guess ill disable paging file
yes, It'll run quite well without paging file.

also, go to start -> run
run "gpedit.msc" (without quotes)

go to computer configuration -> administrative templates -> Network -> QOS packet scheduler

in the right window, go to limit reservable bandwith. Enable it, and set it to zero. That gives you 20% of your bandwith back that XP normally steals off you.

Also, make a .bat file, stick it somewhere like C:\windows, and add the following lines into it:

del C:\windows\refetch\*.* /q
del C:\windows\temp\*.* /q
del C:\documents and settings\your user name\local settings\temp\*.* /q

save it, and then go back to the group policy editor
under computer configuration -> windows settings, open scripts (startup/shutdown)
and add the .bat file to the shutdown

What it does is delete the temporary files and prefetch files every shutdown, and makes things faster, including boot time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom