Ram install confusion ( yes I know )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So a while back I had 2 gigs of G.skill DDR 800 PC6400 HZs with my Asus P5N-E mobo. I installed em as regular as shown at the bottom of the screen shot on this page: Build a System: Page 3 ( put ram in slots 1 and 3 )

and thats when I kept getting the blue screens of death on Vista like no tomorrow. Some so bad it couldn't even POST. After switching the rams and putting them both in slots 1 and 2, everything worked fine. Someone told me the ram I had wasn't ECC or something and so it couldn't work in slots 1 and 3. However according to this page "To take full advantage of Dual Channel mode, you want to put a ram stick in each channel", so...am I missing something? Is the G.Skill HZ really incapable of doing this?

different mobos have different channel set ups...just read the mobo manual and to find out which slots are which channel...

for me..slots 1 and 2 are channel A, both are green
slots 3 and 4 are B, orange...put 1 in green, 1 in orange..dual channel

Are you installing the ram in slots of matching color? Is this setup giving you errors?

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5N32-E SLI/e2929_P5N32-E_SLI.pdf

the ASUS manual for my mobo, I guess according to this the channels A are the first two slots and channel B are the 2nd two slots. I'm supposed to be able to put 1 in channel A and 1 in channel B ( what I originally did, but I get way too many BSOD ), however if I put both of em in channel A it works fine.

What is the BSOD message? Can you get into BIOS?

the typical BSOD stuff, sometimes a physical memory dump or two, I can get into BIOS sometimes. ( Please note: this was in the past, I no longer have the P5N-E board but have the G.skill ram still ) was just wondering what went wrong and if I will have the same problem with the Giga P35 mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom