Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDGreen92086

In Runtime
I'm going to start overclocking my system for practice since I'm going to build a new one soon. I'm starting with my eVGA 6800 GT. I have Rivatuner and when I increase my Memory clock or Core clock if I go to high it will give me an error message. I read to do this and then find the max it would let me set it to, which is 434 Max Core Clock and 1179 Max Memory Clock. Default is 350/1000.

I tried 375/1000 which worked, then I went to 400/1000 and then to 420/1000. They all work when I 3DMark05 and play any of my games. No artifacts, tearing, freezes or crashes so far.

Should I continue doing it this way for my Core and Memory? Then when I find one that won't work go 5 MHz up or down until I find a stable one then try to go between the 5 MHz and find the most stable?

If I'm totally wrong on this I'd like to know, which I don't think I am.

This is how I'm documenting it in case you have any better ideas. Not great but ok I guess.

eVGA 6800GT 256 MB PCI-Express x16

434 Max Core Clock
1179 Max Memory Clock

Overclock 1
-----------------
400 Core Clock
1000 Memory Clock
-----------------
Benchmark:3DMark05 - 5328
Games: OK

Overclock 2
-----------------
420 Core Clock
1000 Memory clock
-----------------
Benchmark:3DMark05 - 5465
Games: OK

I don't know about the Rivatuner but if you were using ATI Tool to overclock your VGA then I would tell you to follow these steps.

Download and run ATI Tool and follow these steps. Find your max Core and memory clocks and then lower it by 10MHz, to be safe. Remember to run Artifact Scan to see if there is any problem. If there are artifacts, then lower it by 5-10MHz, until it becomes stable, and you see no artifacts, at all.

I don't know about the Rivatuner but if you were using ATI Tool to overclock your VGA then I would tell you to follow these steps.

Download and run ATI Tool and follow these steps. Find your max Core and memory clocks and then lower it by 10MHz, to be safe. Remember to run Artifact Scan to see if there is any problem. If there are artifacts, then lower it by 5-10MHz, until it becomes stable, and you see no artifacts, at all.

I don't believe using ATI tool on a non ATI card would be that great of an idea.

I don't believe using ATI tool on a non ATI card would be that great of an idea.

Actually, I use it for my EVGA and it's performing pretty well. Just have to get a well ventilated case since my video card tends to run pretty hot on load with my stupid Raidmax tower. I might even get a tube of MX-1 or AS5 to replace the stock thermal paste on my video card.

My max is 434/1179 which is far as it would let me go when I hit the "Test" button. So from 434/1179(MAX) go down 10 MHz to 424/1169 and then try running some programs?

What is Artifact Scan and where can I get it? Any other tools you would advise?

My max is 434/1179 which is far as it would let me go when I hit the "Test" button. So from 434/1179(MAX) go down 10 MHz to 424/1169 and then try running some programs?

What is Artifact Scan and where can I get it? Any other tools you would advise?

I'm running an Nvidia eVGA 6800 GT, Phucng.

Artifact Scan is a scan which is used to see if your video card is stable at it's speed. The artifacts are dots and lines that comes across your screen. It's probably only in ATI Tool which is the only VGA overclocking utility I know of for now.

I know what artifacts are :p

Still need my question answered, "My max is 434/1179 which is far as it would let me go when I hit the "Test" button. So from 434/1179(MAX) go down 10 MHz to 424/1169 and then try running some programs?".

When I say programs, I mean 3DMark and some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom