About to pullt he trigger, some advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeradin

Solid State Member
Hello all!

Firstly, wanted to say this forum has been great, helped a lot in putting together my new computer. I would like some advice of a few pieces though!

My computer use is about this:
15% games (used to be 95%, might move more into games again)
60% photoshop/design programs
25% web/apps

I wanted to build a good machine that would last me a while, but my budget is a bit small. Really like to stay under $800.

Below is my wishlist at newegg, and would love if you could look it over.

New Rig

A few things that I am split on is… getting the Q6600 for 300, or the E6420 for 186.

Also, I am not going to jump right into games, so I am not sure if I need a power house video card. I could likely use the one from my current computer which is Radeon X800. Is it silly to keep that vid card? Will it work well with my new board?

Is the memory I picked ok? Also, I did read about the Antec900, but really dont like the look so was going with the coolmaster Centurion 5, which seems good.

Thanks so much for your time!!

Dale

btw get that af7 from svc.com

and don't get thermal paste for it, the artcic freezer pro 7 has mx-1 pad on it

Fixed the link, sorry about that.

Removed thermal compound. will get the AF7 from svc.com, nice find.

doesn't work (x800 does nothing else does)

I don't follow here... The x800 won't work, or not smart to put in the new computer?

Really still not sure on the cpu... due or quad, 300 seems cheap, but I do need to watch the total... the E6420 would likely do great for illustrator and photoshop... should I spend the extra 120 for the quad?

Thanks again for your knowledge and time!!!

Dale

I don't follow here... The x800 won't work, or not smart to put in the new computer?

Really still not sure on the cpu... due or quad, 300 seems cheap, but I do need to watch the total... the E6420 would likely do great for illustrator and photoshop... should I spend the extra 120 for the quad?

Dale

He meant only the x800 link worked.

Its an older card. You may not need something like an 8800GTS or an X1900XTX, but something more modern would serve you better.
I would say E6420, the current Quads aren't true quad in the same sense the Pentium Ds aren't true dual core. There are 2 separate dual core dies connected. And if I remember right they have to communicate through the FSB. Personally I would go with the E6420, they are plenty fast and it will save you cash to get better ram or a nicer video card. Alsop when the Penryns come out you can upgrade to true quad then.

Dale

The Q6600 is really worth it if you are using graphics programs mate. Trust me, i use CAD/Photoshop/3Ds Max etc. You will not be sorry you spent the extra cash on it.

Seriously i used to have to leave my old computer alone while it rendered an image, now it does it in about 1/5th of the time, and i can do anything else i like at the same time without noticing in drop in performance. The Quad really shows its colours using graphics programs. In benchmarks the Quad was 40% faster than a dual core in rendering times.

Games are not yet optimised for quads, yet grahpics programs are!

And what zmatt said is true, however, the performance increase in the 'true quads' will probably not be much at all, and only noticable in games.

Oh and just so you know im not an intel rep, lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom