Are laptops better than desktops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Desktops will be replaced anytime soon. There will always be people like us who simply want a powerful computer, and don't really care about the portability.

Then again, there are people who build desktop PC's to be portable, too.

Maybe the cpu box will get smaller. But the mere luxury of having a normal sized keyboard and monitor wins everytime. It's alright to have a desktop AND a laptop. Use the desktop when you're at home. Use the laptop when you're on the go. Why can't we have both?

Small form factor PCs have come a long way. I'm really liking these newer Micro-atx cases that have mobo trays and use a real atx power supply and can take full sized graphics cards. They're a far cry from those Shuttle computers that were so hot a few years ago.

I used to prefer desktops, and I never liked working on a laptop. But in university I had to move a lot. I used to travel and move rooms a lot, so I decided to try the laptop. Now, after using the laptop for a year and half, I definitely go for laptops, even though they are more expensive, but in my case I care about portability.

I would get a desktop when I live in one place. I would have a workstation (desktop, printer, scanner...etc.) but for the time-being, laptops rules :cool:

Just a note about laptop sales going up massively. People investing large amounts of money in desktop computers are usually, sure, making a generalization here, but gamers or animators or something of the like. They are people who want a **** good computer for a reason. The massive advantage of desktop computers over laptops is that they currently and probably will always out perform.

Laptops are widely used by business people and students for simple tasks like word processing, programming or web browsing. If you wanted to do something that was very power thirsty or resource demanding, you would choose a desktop. With the world becoming more networked and computer dependent, people who in the past operated businesses without computers now need one, hence the laptops, hence the sales.

Laptops are a convenience thing, desktops are for serious users, in general.

Just a note about laptop sales going up massively. People investing large amounts of money in desktop computers are usually, sure, making a generalization here, but gamers or animators or something of the like. They are people who want a **** good computer for a reason. The massive advantage of desktop computers over laptops is that they currently and probably will always out perform.

Laptops are widely used by business people and students for simple tasks like word processing, programming or web browsing. If you wanted to do something that was very power thirsty or resource demanding, you would choose a desktop. With the world becoming more networked and computer dependent, people who in the past operated businesses without computers now need one, hence the laptops, hence the sales.

Laptops are a convenience thing, desktops are for serious users, in general.

Very true.
I come across many people who ask me if I can build a laptop. I tell them it's too expensive especially when they are going to just email, surf, and basic word. They don't want desktops. They don't want to mess with having all sorts of wires and cables.
Anyways, the people I've encountered tend to want a laptop not because of it's performance but it's portability, size and the "cool" factor.

Laptops are widely used by business people and students for simple tasks like word processing, programming or web browsing. If you wanted to do something that was very power thirsty or resource demanding, you would choose a desktop.
I wouldn't classify "programming" as a simple task, unless you mean writing scripts or html. Any serious software development is going to require a machine with a large amount of memory, processing power, and possibly a high end video/sound card depending on the applications being developed. Running Visual Studio (sometimes multiple instances), a couple debuggers, test apps, and several other tools can put a strain on a computer. Coding intricate animations in WPF can require a high performing video card, processor, and a lot of RAM. That said, a laptop can meet those requirements, but it will be a bit more expensive than getting a desktop. I use a Dell XPS workstation for software development at work, but I use a ThinkPad (Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz, 800 mhz fsb, 2 gb ram) for the same type of development at home and it works just fine.

And if so, why do you choose laptops?

I think laptops are cool looking. I can picture myself typing on one with one hand and driving my car down the highway with the other hand.

I can't decide though.
Ye', don't make that picture a reality - we don't need more idiots on the road. Cell phones are too much for most people, heh. Then again, so are maps. Focus...

If you do anything graphic-intensive, the desktop is the only way. I say this from recent experience - laptops can't touch the desktop performance yet. If not, and you don't plan on upgrading anything beyond another stick o' RAM, the laptop would be ideal. Plug a USB keyboard/mouse in at home (or use the docking station), and when it's time to hit the road - grab and go.

As far as programming, laptops are perfect - very few would be dealing with graphic-intensive stuff, which is where the problems would arise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom