This time I'm serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

nylax4

Baseband Member
I really, really, really think I'm going to build this time. Price cuts are done everything is set.

DVD/CD Burner - Recycling Asus current
CD Burner - Recycling NEC current
Hard Drive - Recycling Samsung 160GB 7,200rpm 8mb cache current hard drive

Case - Newegg.com - Rosewill R6AR6-SL 0.8mm SECC 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
It seems like everything I want. Good price point, smooth edges, nice and big, tons of flexibility, free shipping.

Mobo - Newegg.com - BIOSTAR NF520-A2 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Again everything I want. Good price point, four DDR2 800 slots, pci-e x16 slot, good overclocker, will support future CPU's.

Video card - Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail
Once again good price point, lots of performance @ that cost ratio.

PSU - Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Retail
Cheap and efficient, supposedly good for budget build.

RAM - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Just good RAM.

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
Good price, plan on OC'ing to 2.8ghz-ish.

CPU Cooler - Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
I'm overclocking so its necessary.

How will this do with upcoming games in DX9 like Bioshock, Crysis, World in Conflict, etc.?

If you really want to play DX10 games get an 8800gts 320 at least and upgrade your cpu to a quad core.

well thats not entirely true, for the next year or so, u can play dx 10 games on ur dx 9 card... but ONE YEAR

At the moment, games play better on duos. Unless you do a lot of compiling or encoding the duo would be a better choice for gaming.

The benchmarks show even the current games utilizing dx10 play better on the quads. And, all future games built on a the dx10 platform will perform decidedly better on the quads. For shear spead, yes the duos are better on traditional platforms, but they fall way short on anything taking advantage of all four cores.

So, if your focus is being able to play the future games get a quad. If you want pure speed for current gen games, get a duo.

What's your budget? If you can spare some extra cash here are a few suggestions:

In any case I'd think long and hard about the motherboard and Video Card you are considering. The motherboard only has one PCI x16 slot and it isn't SLI enabled. The video card is going to soon be outdated too. I'd tell you to go with a Geforce 8600 GTS or better if you want to be able to keep this rig around for a while. You may also want to consider spending a bit more $$$ on a better CPU.

I doubt looking at his hardware choices that he will be willing to spend that much money on an SLI setup. You may want to look at the 8800gts 320mb and the DS3 motherboards to use on a duo/quad.

SLI is a waste of cash. By the time you pay the extra for the sli board and the two vid cards, you have spent about the same money as getting one of the best vid cards currently available. by the time that card is outdated the technology will have changed.

seriously... that board stinks.... might wanna get a tforce550 instead... and go OEM since u have a Aftermarket cooler, also i think u would save extra cash by getting the 3600+ Brisbane and overclock it manually to 2.2ghz, pretty easy since the 3600+ is at 1.9 ghz...

What's your budget? If you can spare some extra cash here are a few suggestions:

In any case I'd think long and hard about the motherboard and Video Card you are considering. The motherboard only has one PCI x16 slot and it isn't SLI enabled. The video card is going to soon be outdated too. I'd tell you to go with a Geforce 8600 GTS or better if you want to be able to keep this rig around for a while. You may also want to consider spending a bit more $$$ on a better CPU.

also i disagree that the 8600gts is better than the 7900gs, stick with that, and when u get more cash, u can upgrade to a Phenom in December and get a 9 series in January or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom