Building first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejanitor866

Beta member
Hey guys, i've decided to build my first computer. I know a decent amount about parts but i've never actually built one so this should be interesting.

All the parts:

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM ATAPI/E-IDE CD Burner - OEM
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
Newegg.com - MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGE86256GTSOCE GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-08 - Retail
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL ATX 12V (V2.01) 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA,UL,TUV - Retail
Newegg.com - Logitech Office Pro 967452-0403 White 104 Normal Keys 7 Function Keys PS/2 Standard Keyboard - OEM
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+(65W) Windsor 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I'm looking to make this computer good for some heavy gaming, which I do. But i've been using this terrible Dell laptop for years and I can't stand it anymore.

And i've got a monitor, mouse, speakers, etc. here so that won't be an issue.

also since ur buying an aftermarket cooler get an oem CPU, also i recommend u get an x2 3600+ brisbane OEM and overclock it to the 4200+ stock speed, u could also push that chip to 3.0ghz

also since ur buying an aftermarket cooler get an oem CPU, also i recommend u get an x2 3600+ brisbane OEM and overclock it to the 4200+ stock speed, u could also push that chip to 3.0ghz

..what do you mean by aftermarket cooler? OEM? Push what chip!? Gah! :confused:

Yeah, i'm still pretty new to this, sorry. But are there any parts I need to change that are mandatory to the stability of the computer? I dont want my graphics card to blow up.

..what do you mean by aftermarket cooler? OEM? Push what chip!? Gah! :confused:

Yeah, i'm still pretty new to this, sorry. But are there any parts I need to change that are mandatory to the stability of the computer? I dont want my graphics card to blow up.

in that order:

OEM: just the CPU no box etc etc
Aftermarket cooler: that AF64, not stock cooling
that has nothing to do with ur GPU (graphics card)

I wouldn't advise overclocking if you don't even know what it is... ;)

Actually, OCing is pretty easy once you know what to do. Find your max Core and memory clocks and then lower it by 10MHz, to be safe. Remember to run Artifact Scan to see if there is any problem. If there are artifacts, then lower it by 5-10MHz, until it becomes stable, and you see no artifacts, at all. Yeah, I pretty much learned this all in one day. b1gapl guided me through this process! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom