Think I Fried It!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey3

Beta member
I was installing my new hardware in my new build (e6600, 4g patriot extreme, radeon x1950 pro, msi p965 platinum motherboard) , I finished wiring the front and turn it on and all I head is POP POP POP and saw sparks flying out of it. I think I have narrowed it down to what has happened and I just just need someone to confirm that doing so would cause this damage. I think I accidentally plugged the power cable for the gpu into the spot for the cpu without realizing it (cant believe I did that). I was also wondering what the damage might be as I have no way to test it yet. I threw the power supply back into my old machine and I wouldn't turn on so I now know that it is broken for sure. Anything at this point would help. hope it only the power supply:D.

Guaranteed dead: Motherboard
Possibly Dead (worst to least likely):CPU, GFX card, memory, hard drive, disc drives, fan

Wow, that totally sucked. You should have looked into your manual, and check to see if all the wires are correctly inserted into their designated spots. Double-checking wires is always a good idea before you turn on your computer, especially when you finished building it. :shocked:

Does anyone know of any way to check if the parts are dead or not?
thanks for the replies

Don't really know about the Power Checkers, but you can go to Home Depot, OSH, or Lowes to see if they have one. But I'm pretty sure, you fried your motherboard. Solder's probably got messed up and it got short-circuited.

Recommend a power supply from "Ultra X connect" for next build really help with the wiriing confussion and swap out when it goes bad. Try pluging your mother board up to a power supply with some ram and use the MFG manual to do the "beep" tests.

aww man that is totally unlucky i really feel for you. bet that made your wallet sting, eh?

Return it back to the store!!!

lol yeah. you could pretend you had wired it correctly. rewire it and makes sure everything is in the correct place, then return it to the store and say it just went fizz lol. hopefully youll get your money back or a new one.

Does anyone know of any way to check if the parts are dead or not?

if you have another computer, just try putting the bits from the fizzled computer into that and see if it shows up correctly

to test put the bits into another machine and follow these steps:
Gfx card = simply plug it in. dont worry about drivers, because if its dead you wont get any display AT ALL.
memory = put in alongside currently working ram then go to start, then run and type: 'dxdiag' to run DirectX Diagnostic. that should tell you how much memory you have in your computer. if the ram is fried then it just wont be reported by dxdiag i.e. 1GB of working ram and 1GB of fried ram shows up as 1GB of ram in DirectX diagnostics
harddrive = put it in as master and set mobo to boot master drive only. if its fried youll get a DOS message on boot saying 'ERROR INSERT SYSTEM DISK' or something like that
diskdrive = set mobo to boot to disk drive first, then to hard drive, then take out any disks (if you can get it open) and boot. you should hear activity or see a light flashing when it boots as it tries to find a disk to boot from. if not = dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom