New Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaminohaka

Baseband Member
I am looking at a new router, and in the past i had trouble problems with routers. The connection keeps dropping and stays down for days something. I don't know what the problem. I even had broadband come out and look at it.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the best router. I heard one of LINKSYS standard router was amazing. I think it's called LINKSYS WRT54G with Data Rates - up to 54Mbps. Im kinda thinking about 108Mbps though, because isn't it true that 108mbps allows for faster file transferring over a network? Does like all wired networking cards support that, and most wireless card (mainly laptop networking cards) support only 53mbps??

Of the 54mbps routers, which one is the best? Last the longest and doesn't have any problems.
of the 108mbps routers, which one is the best? also doesn't die and keep the internet running for months on end??

Any information you would like to add, please feel free to add it in.

Thank you,
Yaminohaka

The WRT54G has a very good reputation as a solid budget home router in the community. As for the 108mbps v. 54mbps, the former is faster for over the network transfers. But compared to wire, the 100mbps is still faster as it has lower latencies.

keep in mind that the decision to go with a 108 or 54 mbps router will not affect the speed of the internet at your computer. Most high speed connections are only 2-7mbps anyways.

Still I recommend Linksys WRT54G wireless router, reasonable price with good performance. If you need 108Mbps wireless router, you need to get the adapter that supports 108Mbps as well.

Still I recommend Linksys WRT54G wireless router, reasonable price with good performance. If you need 108Mbps wireless router, you need to get the adapter that supports 108Mbps as well.

well you only need a 108mbps adapter if you are wanting to get 108mbps. The router will still work with all of the lower speeds.

Past revision 3 for the WRT54Gs got a bit buggy... I would honestly stay away from them.

I would also recommend the WRT54GL though as the alternative :)

isn't the stander for wired adapters at 108mbps??? and i knew 108mbps won't get you faster internet because the net is about 2-6 anyways, but i do want faster transferring speeds for my network.

can i hook up two router and use one router kinda like hub for extra ips???

The wired networks run at 10,100, and/or 1000 mbps. I also know that you DID refer to network transfers as my post regarded that, but the other's didn't read that in-depth. Yes, you can hook up two or more routers to expand the network. You just need to disable DHCP on one of them and run an ethernet cable between them.

isn't the stander for wired adapters at 108mbps??? and i knew 108mbps won't get you faster internet because the net is about 2-6 anyways, but i do want faster transferring speeds for my network.

can i hook up two router and use one router kinda like hub for extra ips???

You can use both router. The other router will just perform as a switch. But if you aren't planning to use the other router you might be better off just buying a switch, much more easier to setup and doesn't require extra cost like a router. You simply just plug it into one of the LAN port on your router and off you go.

Newegg.com - D-Link DGS-2208 10/20/100/1000/2000Mbps Desktop Switch 8 x RJ-45 Ports 8K MAC Address Table 144KB per Device Packet Buffer Memory - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom