Long time no post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam02

In Runtime
What to get!

Yup it's been a while since ive posted. Use to be on here all the time when i was looking to build my first PC. Ever since it was built i just never came back on lol.

The specs of my build are:

Hiper Type-R 580 watt
DFI-lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D
AMD 3700+ san diego 2.2ghz (Opteron 165 lost during shipping)
Corsair 2x512mb value ram :( (G.skill DDR500 2gb HZ's lost during shipping)
WD 250GB SataII
Sapphire X1900XT 512MB

Now back then it was AMD ruling intel. The opterons were a hit!

But now everythings turned upside down. Intel are spanking AMD it seems.

Now im considering upgrading soon within the next couple of months. (i like the look of Crysis ;) )

Id like to upgrade the mobo, CPU and RAM.

I was thinking

Gigabyte GA_P35_DS3R (the one everyone loves right?)
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400C4 (good for OC'n right?)

Now here's where im stumped:

I cant decide whether to go Dual Core or Quad Core.

I already have Windows XP home OEM, can i still install it with the aforementioned upgrades?

Anything worth waiting on soon?

I think thats everything.

Thanks!

Ps, im still in the UK.

Yeh and it depends on how long you plan to keep the computer for.

The DS3R is penryn compatible, so can easily be upgraded to the next gen cpu. So if you plan to keep it for about 1 year i would say dual for games, but for 1.5+ years you might want to look at a quad.

dual or quad?
depends if your a pure gamer or a multitasker

Im not a hardcore gamer, but i do enjoy my games. I might do some video editing in the future.

So im leaning towards a Quad Core.

Yeh and it depends on how long you plan to keep the computer for.

The DS3R is penryn compatible, so can easily be upgraded to the next gen cpu. So if you plan to keep it for about 1 year i would say dual for games, but for 1.5+ years you might want to look at a quad.

Il keep it as long as i can, so i think the Quad is a good choice.

So that brings the next question-

Which quad core?

Im not a hardcore gamer, but i do enjoy my games. I might do some video editing in the future.

So im leaning towards a Quad Core.

Il keep it as long as i can, so i think the Quad is a good choice.

So that brings the next question-

Which quad core?

q6600 by intel

Penryn is the Die Shrink of the Core 2 Duo processors, which means that Intel will be manuacturing the chips with 45nm transistors. This means higher clockspeed and performance. The quad core penryns will be 'true' quad cores, as opposed to the current ones which are really 2 dual core chips slapped onto the same die. No-one knows how much difference the move from the current quad core design to the 'true' quad core design will make in terms of performance, though. They are planned to come out either late this year, or early next year.

Penryn is the Die Shrink of the Core 2 Duo processors, which means that Intel will be manuacturing the chips with 45nm transistors. This means higher clockspeed and performance. The quad core penryns will be 'true' quad cores, as opposed to the current ones which are really 2 dual core chips slapped onto the same die. No-one knows how much difference the move from the current quad core design to the 'true' quad core design will make in terms of performance, though. They are planned to come out either late this year, or early next year.

Ah ok.

So for me, whats a safe bet to get? a G0 stepping Q6600?

Im in the UK so that could be tricky.

wolfdale.... not penryn, penryn is for mobile....

Ok so il get a Q6600 (G0 stepping) within the next couple of months along with the Gigabyte GA_P35_DS3R.

I have windows XP home OEM. Can i still use it?

Whats the best Gskill 2gb to get? (Any point in gettin 4gb?)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom