Buying a High Preformance Laptop for college (Budget $4000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerpal

In Runtime
I wasnt sure if this thread was for desktops only or for notebooks as well. Either way i am going to SUNY Geneseo in august, which is 30,000$ a year cheaper than any of the other schools a applyed to. Beacuse of this I am trying to get a relly nice computer with no real spending limit. I would like to aim for something in the 4000$ price range, however i can go higher.

I have looked at The Voodoo Envy, the dell XPS, and comprable Alienware products.

I prefer Windows to Macs only beacuse i am used to Windows. Also i cant really get for the Falcon Northwest Computers only beacuse they take over a month to assemble and be shipped to my house and i leave mid-august.

I would primarily use the computer for games, watching DVD's, the internet, and college busy work. However i would also like it to be used for photo and video editing.

If anybody has any knoweldge on the subject, or even owns any high end laptops with recommendations, i would appreciate it.

And yes i know that it will be stolen within the first 2 weeks of me going to college.

Honestly its not like you have a limit as to what you can get, so just get the best there is.

$2000 should be PLENTY, any more would be stupid.

I wasnt sure if this thread was for desktops only or for notebooks as well. Either way i am going to SUNY Geneseo in august, which is 30,000$ a year cheaper than any of the other schools a applyed to. Beacuse of this I am trying to get a relly nice computer with no real spending limit. I would like to aim for something in the 4000$ price range, however i can go higher.

I have looked at The Voodoo Envy, the dell XPS, and comprable Alienware products.

I prefer Windows to Macs only beacuse i am used to Windows. Also i cant really get for the Falcon Northwest Computers only beacuse they take over a month to assemble and be shipped to my house and i leave mid-august.

I would primarily use the computer for games, watching DVD's, the internet, and college busy work. However i would also like it to be used for photo and video editing.

If anybody has any knoweldge on the subject, or even owns any high end laptops with recommendations, i would appreciate it.

And yes i know that it will be stolen within the first 2 weeks of me going to college.

wow, why would you spend so much in a laptop?!?!?!

If it were me I would build a computer and buy a laptop with 4k!

The reason i have the money to burn, is beacuse i chose a state school over my first choices (Skidmore and Trinity) both costing 45,000-50,000 a year.
Geneseo only costs 14,000 a year.

Also i am normaly very frugal, and have saved all of my money since my first job years ago.

Now as for why i want to spend 4000 dollars on a new laptop, is beacuse i want a computer that in 2 years will still be viable and able to play the newest games. Im thinking if i get a 2000$ laptop the technology will be severly outdated and in need of replacement.

I would get a desktop (Voodoo Omen, no question about that) but my college requires a laptop, so i thought mabye the voodoo envy, starting at 3200$ with options to upgrade. When i saw what i wanted it came to around 4000$ including an OS a bigger harddvire, more memory, printer, and other things.
Then i went to look at dell, HP, Alienware, and Apple, finding systems that were comprable in price and preformance.

I could aim lower i suppose, does anyone have any other suggestions for a cheaper laptop, or any laptop.

Get a decent laptop and get a PC. Play games on PC and use the laptop for schoolwork. That is what I am going to do in college.

Get a decent laptop and get a PC. Play games on PC and use the laptop for schoolwork. That is what I am going to do in college.

a great idea, however i am going to live in a dorm, and i have already decided to bring my xbox. The issue of space is going to be a problem. Thats why i wanted a laptop that preformed like a high preformance desktop.

I'm currently at college. I run my full desktop system and a 19" LCD screen (like I could fit a CRT in the dorm... haha) in my dorm. Space isn't a problem if you can organize some, (and you'll have to learn to organize well to fit into a dorm anyway) (full desktop system means 5.1 surround speakers, 19" screen, full sized tower case, and a 1000VA 600W UPS, along with keyboard/mouse)

It all comes down to what you want, but I'd be surprised if a laptop would be able to last for the next 2+ years for games. especially with DX10 out now. Also, if you get a massive laptop like that the battery life if going to suck. desktop replacement laptops in my opinion are just for the smaller size, you basically have to have them plugged in all the time. Plus laptops are expensive to upgrade, if its even possible.

Also, realize that if you are going to be living with a roommate then he/she might not always lock the door, I've come back too many times finding the door partly open and no one inside or unlocked. If I had a 4K laptop that would not be something I'd want to have to worry about. (make sure to get renter's insurance or make sure your parents policy covers it)

My suggestion is to get a desktop, one that will be for power usage, and a nice light laptop with excellent battery life so that you can go places and are not stuck using the lappy to where there is a plug. If your school requires one, find out why. If you need to drag it to class everyday, that 8-10lbs is going to be alot of weight, especially ontop of textbooks and such.

If the school requires a lappy then I'm betting that they will be used in the class rooms, with no guarantee that there will be a plug in each room (for everyone). Having a desktop replacement laptop that only has an 1hr or so, (if your lucky), of power would be fun if you had multiple classes back to back. There are external power packs. Like this one recommended by Patrick Norton, Electrovaya PowerPad Battery. He has the 160 series. I don't know what dl.tv episode he recommended it in though, within the last 20 eps though.... But these would give you all-day power, and are nothing compared to the cost of the laptop you are looking at.

Again, its all up to you, but I would recommend a desktop, (you can get the mini case ones that dell/hp have), and a light laptop with great battery life.

Edit -- I also had my xbox, fridge, microwave, and tv (which is not a flat), in the dorm room. Plus I was sharing with another kid who had a fridge and all computer, and all sorts of other stuff as well. You'll be surprised at how much stuff you can really hit in, (just use vertical space (i.e. we had two fridges stacked on top of each other, then my tv on top of that))

Edit2 -- If you are set on a high-performance laptop, look into Acer, HP, Systemax, along with what you recommended above. I won't buy dell, but thats just my choice If you are set on spending $4K on a laptop, just go ask for the most expensive one. I'm sure you can find cheaper laptops that are better deals for the money.

thanks for the suggestion. But what laptop/ desktop combination should i get? Any ideas

I would suggest a powerful desktop and then a business laptop, (as it won't be used to the high-end games).

Are you looking to buy factory or build yourself? (and you can build your own laptop if you wanted, but probably only for the people who have lots of experience.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom