Upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBD

In Runtime
Hi guys :)

I would like to upgrade my rig and give my brother my old parts.

I've been out of the PC game for a while now, So I have absolutely no idea whats good these days.

I basically want to hook my brother up with my graphics card, But his PC is AGP so I guess I will have to juggle some prices around until I decide what to do.

I want better/faster parts than I have now, for as cheap as possible.

I'm thinking...mobo, graphics card, processor, and ram.
If I put all of that in my brothers PC, Will he be-able to use my windows xp mce in his PC? I will be buying windows vista for mine

All advice and ideas are welcome!!

if your on a low budget AM2 is the way to go something like the 3600+ dual core and overclock the **** out of it
for ram get 2gb of Gskill DDR2 800 for around 90 bucks
for a motherboard i heard the Biostar TForce 550 is really good but idk much about AM2 boards
for your graphics card depending on your budget 8800GTS<X1950XT<7900GS
those are good depending on how much you want to spend

if your on a low budget AM2 is the way to go something like the 3600+ dual core and overclock the **** out of it
for a motherboard i heard the Biostar TForce 550 is really good but idk much about AM2 boards
for your graphics card depending on your budget 8800GTS<X1950XT<7900GS
those are good depending on how much you want to spend
they have some ocz GOLD ram on sale for $65 after MIR

If you are constantly recommending these GSkill
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

Or these:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR - Retail

Than I would say with the deal these are by far a way better option:

Buy.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2 Memory - 112438

Even without the deal you cannot compare the GSkill NQs or NRs to the Crucial Ballistix. Crucial is far superior.

Now if you are recommending HKs or HZs than there is not that significant of a difference and either Crucial or GSkill will be very good options.

Thanks for the advice, Now I have a good starting point.

A couple questions...

Why should I get the evga 590 and not the Biostar TForce 550?

How much of a improvement will the 8800GTS 320MB be over my X1900XT?

What is the difference between the Vista for system builders and the retail Vista?

forget the gskill HZ for the moment:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

xms2 c4, 85 bucks after 40.00 MIR. yes, corsair (unlike evga lol) honor their MIRs.

the only thing that really makes the evga 590sli better than the 550 is a newer chipset, optimized for am2....more overclocking features, and sli (which could matter, or it might not, depending on your opinion of sli. i heart my sli 7900gs, no doubt about it). the evga is obviously a little more expensive, and i wouldn't count on that MIR. i got mine for 100 bucks, no rebate...totally worth it. the 550 is a killer board for how much it costs.
im not the resident video card expert, but i dont think there will be a tremendous difference between your x1900xt and the 8800gts 320. besides dx 10. someone here knows for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom