Re-Considering Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
if my mobo craps out on me...or if it doesnt oc well at all...which of the following should i get:
DFI Lanparty UT Ultra D NF4 DFI Ultra-D Socket 939 AMD
or
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard Socket 939

both of them are on ebay...theyre used, like new.
How much should i pay max for each of them...this is only if my mobo craps out on me.

BIG PROBLEMO...mobo doesnt fit in my case.
IM SO ****ED.
Luckily my IT manager has a case at his house, he gets off at 4 and thats when im gonn go with him and get it.

Since his case is bigger than mine...do you think ill be running into any more problems? or should I be fine.

well it did not fit...luckily my manager gave me a case for free and it fit.
I got everything hooked up. BUT it shows only one core is being used.
The main reason i got this mobo is cos my previous one wouldnt recognize opterons...please dont tell me this is the same problem.
I just re-formatted my whole pc, im going to try flashing the bios now...if that doesnt work then im just goot with bad lu ck.

When overclocking an AMD K8 processor, you will be looking for the HTT speed, not the FSB speed.

AMD's CPU's use an integrated memory controller, instead of having to go through the northbridge.

Anyway, when watching your temperatures, try to make sure it stays under 60ºC on full load. Lower is better, but 60ºC is usually where it is starting to get dangerous.

the K8 CPU's can take up to about 1.60-1.65V before it starts to get dangerous.

But If you go past about 1.5V on the core, try to increase the HTT voltage by up to +0.15V.
Sometimes there can be stability problems if the core voltage is too high against the HTT voltage

And like nagasama mentioned, the HTT multiplier should be lowered to at least 4x

the HTT speed for socket 939 and AM2 systems is 1000MHZ, with an effective speed of 2000MHZ

That speed is obtained by multiplying the base HTT speed with the HTT multiplier (200 x 5 = 1000MHZ)
lowering it to 4x gives you headroom to go up to 250MHZ base HTT speed before the full HTT bus is increased past 1000MHZ again (250MHZ x 4 = 1000MHZ)

If the HTT speed goes past 1000MHZ, it can become unstable. But it depends on the quality of the board. Some boards can sustain a higher HTT speed.

Socket 754 has a lower HTT speed of 800MHZ (effective 1600MHZ speed) and a 4x stock HTT multiplier.
well it did not fit...luckily my manager gave me a case for free and it fit.
I got everything hooked up. BUT it shows only one core is being used.
The main reason i got this mobo is cos my previous one wouldnt recognize opterons...please dont tell me this is the same problem.
I just re-formatted my whole pc, im going to try flashing the bios now...if that doesnt work then im just goot with bad lu ck.
Make sure you grab service pack 2 for XP again

*edit*
this is what the task manager should look like:
taskmanager.png

except for the carbon fiber skin I have. two graphs side by side at the top

i did reinstall sp 2 again.
Once i got everything hooked up, i reformated. Still no dual core present.
Then i dl sp2 and installed it...still no dual core.
I ran win update got everything uptodate and still no dual core...
do i have to update my bios in order to get the dual core showing?

Shouldnt the dual core come up automatically since this is a new mobo.
The cd i got for drivers, doesnt install xp drivers for the usb porst...they said i need to install in manually.
I DONT KNOW HOW?
i cant even use my ex hd to install stuff.

Sounds like a bios update may be needed. Look at their bios updates and see if any of their bois updates pertain to your situation..

i found out i have a 2005 bios version and their is a 2006 available...i dont know how to flash a bios...the instuctions are realy confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom