Since MX-1 is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a very thin layer with covering (plastic i assume) to keep it from coming off/smearing. then you just tear that off when you put it on the processor.

your supposed to use your finger? Thats against the AS5 instructions which says your fingerprints can cause disruption between heat and the paste

Thats what the computer tech person told me to do, I figured I didn't have much to loose to try it his way, and it made since, Since i had no way of knowing if the grease would spread to cover all the die.

If it didn't work then I would just clean it off and try again, Since my temps dropped, I didn't worry about it. (i.e. I'm still using stock anyway).

Note: That even though I asked for arctic silver 5, I don't think that is what I got. as it looks pretty generic to me. But I wanted to clean out 2 years of dust and wanted to pull the cpu fan of to do so. so it didn't matter as much to me.

Thats what the computer tech person told me to do, I figured I didn't have much to loose to try it his way, and it made since, Since i had no way of knowing if the grease would spread to cover all the die.

If it didn't work then I would just clean it off and try again, Since my temps dropped, I didn't worry about it. (i.e. I'm still using stock anyway).

Note: That even though I asked for arctic silver 5, I don't think that is what I got. as it looks pretty generic to me. But I wanted to clean out 2 years of dust and wanted to pull the cpu fan of to do so. so it didn't matter as much to me.

Yeah I'm sure it doesn't really matter what you use, but I think spreading it is unnecessary. http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

as you can see in this picture, you technically don't even need to spread the paste over the entire die, because the chips are very small and only located in the center. May I ask typically what are your temps for idle and load? I'm guessing idle temps for chips should be around 25-35 celcius and load 45-55 celcius? Too low?

Yeah I'm sure it doesn't really matter what you use, but I think spreading it is unnecessary. http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

as you can see in this picture, you technically don't even need to spread the paste over the entire die, because the chips are very small and only located in the center. May I ask typically what are your temps for idle and load? I'm guessing idle temps for chips should be around 25-35 celcius and load 45-55 celcius? Too low?

LOL, first precaution is "Don't put it in your mouth" haha

LOL, first precaution is "Don't put it in your mouth" haha

yeah I laughed at that too...I even thought it was some kind of amusing inside joke ( although we all know that putting AS5 in your mouth CAN'T be a good thing )

yeah I laughed at that too...I even thought it was some kind of amusing inside joke ( although we all know that putting AS5 in your mouth CAN'T be a good thing )

for someone who hasn't heard of AS5, I almost read that as A$$. HAHA... I think i need to go to bed...

I get 37-40c on idle, and just after applying the paste, I was getting about 65c load, but I have not really put the computer under a full load yet, now that its been about 200 hrs or so. I did notice that my idle temps have been dropping over the last week.
(i.e. before reapply paste, I had idle of 48-52c, and highs of 69-70c, right after I had 48-50c idle, and 68c high, and now my idle is down to 37-40c (although its really hard to get idle in my machine anyway....) I will check my load with GRAW later today and edit this post to but it in. BTW, i'm using stock heatsink... (plus this is a factory build)

EDIT -- Ok, so my high on load according to speedfan was 60c, with a core of 67c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom