Fixing old AMD athlon system

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power is there but I'm still getting some beeps now and at the initial screen it says: CMOS battery low and CMOS memory size wrong

What exactly does that mean? Do I need to change the battery and memory or is that something I address through the CMOS settings.

edit: should I just install XP now? Or should I play with some settings first? I've never done this before so small words are appreciated. lol, thanks.

ok, complete re-edit...

try changing the cmos battery, if its a new board, it shouldn't be having that problem, is the board brand new? or just a used one you got?

cmos battery low, just means replace the battery
cmos memory size wrong -- never ran into that one. possible the rom is bad, but shouldn't be. you can try resetting the bios settings to factory. (use the jumper method described in your MB manual)

battery might be just low, due to being such an old board.

you can install XP, if it lets you then its fine, if not, then post back.

Its always worth fxing the erorrs. I'll try google and see what I can find on the Cmos memory, check the MB manual and google around as well.

might try something similar to what is described here. it is possible that if the battery is dead, (maybe you saved the old MBs and can pull the batts of them?), that it isn't keeping the new settings for the memory it has.

Why Do I Get "CMOS Memory Size Wrong" Error On My PXI-8150 Controller? - KnowledgeBase - Support - National Instruments

Getting there....battery message fixed its self.

Thanks for the memory tip, it worked. I also got: "CMOS settings wrong" just prior to the memory fix and when I saved settings both went away.

I was having a problem with the XP install it kept stopping on me part way through the install. I'm re-starting the process now that I've fixed the above messages, we'll see if the XP install problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom