Fixing old AMD athlon system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown53

Solid State Member
Hello, I was given a bunch of old computer components from a friend and I'm trying to put together a general internet access/homework computer for my kids. The problem is that other than just replacing certain components I've never done much else. So now I'm trying to figure out what the next step is, I've read computer building threads so now I'd just like some confirmation.

1) I installed the motherboard in the case: PCChips M848A, the only item i needed to buy....the two he gave me were dead.

Now I need to install the CPU, an Athlon XP 2000+, do I just drop the CPU in and install the heatsink or do I use some sort of gel on the CPU/heatsink?

The next steps?:

- attach DVD burner
- attach video card
- attach formatted hard drive
- install power supply

Then?:

- insert Windows XP pro CD boot up comp and install OS from DVD drive

Does this all seem to make sense? Am stuck on that CPU gel problem at this point.

You put thermal paste on top of the cpu, then put on the heatsink.

The next step[s are all right. Also need to install ram. Order is not really important.

Artic Silver 5? Is that the stuff? Anything I have to watch or just smear it thinly on top of the CPU? Is it important to get every inch of the CPU?

Yes, AS5 is thermal compound.
To apply it, put a rice size amount on the center of the CPU die. Put the heatsink on and apply tension. Let it sit so that the paste thins out. You only need to cover the center of the CPU die as this is where the CPU die is located.

I'll give that a try as soon as I get my hands on some gel. I'll be back in a few days for the next part.

Thanks!

Still no success at this point. I installed the hard drive and the video card on another computer and both work fine. Is there any way of testing to see if your CPU is ok? Maybe I screwed that up?

When I turn on the computer everything seems to power up, lights and fans come on but the monitor says no signal. I checked and the monitor is good as well.

Could this be RAM? I'm using two old sticks of 128 but both are PC2700 I think.

So far:
- installed on mobo: video card, HD, CD-RW, CPU, and RAM. Bare bones.

Does anyone know what it could be at this point?

Do you have integrated graphics on the Mother board? if so, you might need to disable them first in the bios, (connect up the the integrated and change), are there any beeps? try using one stick of ram, try slot closest to cpu,(if nothing try other slot.) you'll hear beeps, (unless the speaker isn't hooked up), if something is wrong with the ram.

leave HD and CDs off, just have MB, CPU, memory, and video if it doesn't have integrated and see if you can get a signal. (might as well leave things off to help narrow down the problem.)

post back with results.

edit -- just noticed that you posted MB, try steps above. also, its possible that the video card is dead. If you have a local computer shop around, they might have one for $15 or so, (used), that you can grab. or if you have another system to try it in, or another card to try.

edit2 -- man.. i just can't read today..... sounds like you already know that video card is good. Um for the CPU, i don't know of any way, did you get two of them? from the two MBs? could try the other. Also, read through the manual of the MB, it should say if it will beep on a bad CPU, it should.

- Video card, monitor, and HD have all been confirmed working on another system (PIII 900). For obvious reasons can't test the CPU and mobo.

- No onboard video

- Sound: only speakers I have are SB audigy 5.1 system, can that be hooked up to the onboard sound? Usually goes through the SB PCI card I have.

- Pulled the HD and and CD-RW, no change.

- Tried different RAM combos, no change.

- Have the brother in law on his way over with another CPU for me to try.

Right now don't hear any beeps but I don't know if the 5.1 system will work with the onboard or if I have to do anything to get it to work.

Anything else I can try?

sorry. i guess i wasn't clear enough... when you put the MB in the case, there should be a lead from the front somewhre, ( a small black connector that goes on 4 pins on the motherboard), called the PC speaker, it should be making the noise, not out through the main sound ports. sometimes the MBs have a speaker build onto the MB for it, but doesn't look like your has a build in speaker. try pluging in the speaker that is on the case and see if it beeps. Mine has red and black cord in pins 1 and 4, pins 2 and 3 have nothing.
Motherboard manual should have more information.

Look in the MB manual to see if there is a trouble shooting guide. it should give you some more clues as well, and if you do hear beeps from the pc speaker, you should be able to find what the beeps mean in there, (i.e. it will be coded beeps, one long, two short, or three long, etc. )

Always possible that the MB is bad, or the APG slot is bad. but since its new, its unlikely, however the reviews are not the best for that board. Might bring it back if the second CPU doesn't help. I don't trust PCChips.... I have a BIOSTAR K8NHA-Grand that i've been using solid for 2 years, (its a factory build however), and my last build had a Soyo brand in it, but can't remember the brand, and I know that the BIOStar has a different socket then you need.

Also, I assume you got the correct socket motherboard.... that could also be a problem if you didn't.

Woohoo! We have liftoff!

Turns out it was a bad CPU....as for the speakers, lol, had the wire in backwards, hence the no sound.

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom