Since MX-1 is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously man....theres nothing to worry about...just have confidence. If you don't, then that's where you'll mess up.

I guess your right...but wow the MX-1/MX-2 has horrible instructions compared to the arctic silver 5 instructions:

MX-1/MX-2 instructions: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downloads/installation/install_mx1_retail.pdf

Artic Silver 5 instructions: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

I guess the important part to note is to apply the paste in a horizontal line for quad core processors

just put a dime sized, maybe thats too much, like a rain drop size on the cpu, then mount up the cooler... not hard man, we've convinced complete idiots to build a system, and ur no idiot... u can do it... have some confidence

where is artic silver 7 information? I can't seem to even find it on the website?

Yes, putting the thermal grease/paste/..../stuff on is easy. I just stuck some on my system for the first time last weekend. Just put down about a big rice sized amount of silver, smeared it around with my finger so that it covered the entire chip and the metal was not showing, (instructions from computer tech store), then placed the heatsink on top. twisted a little and all worked fine. dropped my temps about 8c with the new paste.

just like icing a cake... well not quite, but just a small thin layer. realize that you don't even come close to using the whole tube, ( I think I used 1/6-1/7 of it). If you think its too much, then wipe it off and try again, or just put a little on and add if its not enough.

Yes, putting the thermal grease/paste/..../stuff on is easy. I just stuck some on my system for the first time last weekend. Just put down about a big rice sized amount of silver, smeared it around with my finger so that it covered the entire chip and the metal was not showing, (instructions from computer tech store), then placed the heatsink on top. twisted a little and all worked fine. dropped my temps about 8c with the new paste.

just like icing a cake... well not quite, but just a small thin layer. realize that you don't even come close to using the whole tube, ( I think I used 1/6-1/7 of it). If you think its too much, then wipe it off and try again, or just put a little on and add if its not enough.

your supposed to use your finger? Thats against the AS5 instructions which says your fingerprints can cause disruption between heat and the paste

there isnt? I remember reading someone said the MX-1 had some crap in it that makes the AS7 so good

Oh wait I actually found the post, bot said:
"MX-1 is what comes with the AF7 Pro. It is a very good thermal paste, in fact probably the best. The only reason it's not recommended more is because its harder to get and AS5 is more readily available.

The MX-1 is the reason that the AF7 Pro works so well."

I mistook his post and thought he said AS7 which led me to believe there was a Artic silver 7, but he ment the that cheap HSF most of this people on this forum go for cause its so cheap...and works good too... but not as good as a tuniq tower :p

the MX-1 comes pre-applied to the AF7. it doesnt come with a tube

what the heck? Do they keep some wrapping on the AF7 bottom copper plate to prevent the MX-1 pre applied paste from smearing or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom