Can't Repair XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman5000

In Runtime
OK, as some of you may remember, I had some problems with a missing file and XP needed to be repaired, but couldn't find the disc. Well, I found the disc but now when I "repair" it, it goes almost all of the way through the installation, but stops at the very end with "2 minutes remaining". Yet, the green boxes at the bottom are still going, the message keeps cycling about how it's a new exciting look. Basically, everything seems to be fine, but it won't advance past where it says "2 minutes remaining".

I really don't want to have to take out the HDD and put it in another computer just to save the files and reformat. I hope I won't have to. Is there any other options?

install xp on that same computer in the same partition, but put it in a different folder like XP instead of the windows folder

Hello,

You can install Windows XP on the same partition more than once. You just need to specify a folder for the OS on the partition.

So, on one partition, I could have two instances of Windows XP:

1. c:\Windows\
2. c:\Windows2\

Follow instructions to 'Install Windows XP to a new folder' in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

OK, I finally did the parallel installation. Is there a way to get rid of the other OS? And is there a way to merge all of my documents together?

Cant you jsut use the file and settings transfer wizard and get all the stuff copied voer that way. Then from there use Start>Run>msconfig>boot.ini tab and remove the original install from the boot config. Then go into safe mode and delete the original install folder. That should do it.

I would personally backup all of my data and reinstall windows. if you don't want to do that get a bartpe cd and delete the windows folder. I don't think that xp will let you delete it

OK, I have a new problem. I can't find any of the addresses and phone numbers that I used with Outlook Express. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom