How to partition ghosted hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfman

Beta member
Hi everyone-
I've looked the site over and can't find this particular type of problem- I'm hoping someone can help.
Couple of weeks ago I had the contents of my 40 GB hd ghosted to a new Seagate 400GB drive, and then placed into a new pc. I then decided I wanted to partition the new drive so I could play around with other OS's. Don't ask me why I didn't go ahead and get the guy who did the ghosting to partition it!
And now I can't get the drive to partition. Nearly all of the info I've found says to do the My Computer/Manage/Disk Management thing. They say something about clicking on the white area to the right of the drive shown on the management screen. There is no white area- all it shows is "Disk 0" and 372.61 GB NTFS.
My D drive is also listed, of course.
The Seagate came with a disc, but I'm worried that using it now will cause loss of data. Am I just up the creek without the proverbial paddle?
Thanks much for any advice- great site!
Dan
Dell Dimension 2400
2.8 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM
Windows XP

You'll have to get a disk paritioning program if you would like to add partitions to a HDD. Acronis is supposed to be a pretty good one, so you could try that. Just make sure you back-up important data JUST IN CASE.

Also, the way others were explaining it that you were reading, was for un-formatted HDD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom