Changing monitor refresh rate/resolution - with out screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
Is there a way to do this in normal windows XP (i.e. not safe mode)? The use of a mouse is not possible, so CMD would be the only real possible way I can think it would be possible to navigate to.

Thanks, Trif.

i think you can do it in windows recovery console, not sure thou, i need to change 1 in a dell desktop, and i researced it n thts wt i found i havent done it yet, but im gona try to start it in safe mode and reinstall the graphics drivers

Is there a way to do this in normal windows XP (i.e. not safe mode)? The use of a mouse is not possible, so CMD would be the only real possible way I can think it would be possible to navigate to.

Thanks, Trif.

Do you mean with no monitor connected to the computer at all?

If you have a monitor connected to the computer, but the image is not outputting correctly because the resolution / refresh rate of the graphics is out of the monitor's range, then you can reset the graphics to the lowest supported resolution and refresh rate when booting up the PC...

Hit F8 before the Windows XP splash screen appears when powering on the PC, to bring up the Safe Mode boot options, and choose to boot with 'Enable VGA Mode'.

Enable VGA Mode is the option to use when the desktop in safe mode and normal boot mode is not showing correctly on the display due to out of range resolutions and refresh rates.

how can you reset dell graphics, which is onboard graphics can i do it throught bios

I had a 17" CRT and a 42 (might be 48") plasma hooked up. Tried both VGA and DVI and neither would be auto detected.

I tried safe VGA mode. Worked great for 20 seconds, then the popup asked if I wanted to change the res to a readable one and it did it automatically. :/

Worth mentioning I have Ultramon installed. In safemode I removed this entry from startup (tried to uninstall but wouldn't let me. :/)

well, I could try to write down the keyboard commands I do to reset the graphics, then you can try them to see if that will work. Just alot of hoping that the key commands get entered right....Would definitely be a pain.

The other thing you could try is to reset the bios by finding the reset jumper, or pulling the battery out of the MB (unplug it first), then letting it sit for 10 seconds, then putting the battery back in and starting up. It should reset all settings so that you can use it.

Also, one question, where is it that you can't use graphics? inside windows or at anytime?

I can at home. I took my PC to school to play some games on plasma and/or interactive whiteboard. I just fell at the first step. :/

I could view the screen upto the windows loading point. So I could see GRUB bootloader, and the Windows startup choice (safemode/ VGA etc.) Not to something resetting the BIOS will help with.

Can you view things in safe mode? but just not the normal mode? if so, then you might be able to log into sage mode and change the video settings for your user there.

i have solved my problem, hit f5 when starting up boot in in to vga mode go to control panel and in to display and u can change your reloustion and click advance at the bottom to open up another window to change your fresh rate, pm me for more help

The settings don't apply in safe mode when I reboot. VGA mode works all but 5 seconds when it decides to change back to the previous settings without my permission.

So basically, it needs to be done in standard windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom