What Kind of Hard Drive Do I Want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, is SATA hard to install/work with or something?
And what's the Buffer mean, I noticed a HD with a low buffer was uber cheap.

It's not really hard at all, but if an inexperienced computer user tried to do it without any help at all, they would be sure to have troubles.

You can read data faster if it comes from the hard drive's bus - it takes longer for the drive to seek and read the data than to pull it as it gets read off the bus.. eh I have trouble explaining it... Anyways basically the drive will be quite a bit faster with the 8mb bus. WELL worth the slight ammount of money.

If you think you might have trouble with SATA (lets just say I dont feel like "tackling" it on my computer repairing/upgrading) I would just go with the IDE. It's not THAT Much slower. you will still have a nice, fast drive, so don't worry.

not only would you get less performance with emulating SATA using non-SATA drives, but it is also less reliable; it has been proven that data corruption occurs in a lot of drives

SATA = always faster than PATA unless it's being emulated

not only would you get less performance with emulating SATA using non-SATA drives, but it is also less reliable; it has been proven that data corruption occurs in a lot of drives

what?

For gaming i will recommend Maxtor 7200rpm 8MB
Other than that i will recommend Western Digital 7200rpm 8MB

lavenderAC said:
Is there any point getting a SATA HD when there is only one HD?
yes, SATA is faster

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what?

I meant that any hard drive emulating the SATA interface will only have ATA100/133 speeds (standard IDE) instead of SATA's rated ATA150, and also the emulation from paralell ATA to serial ATA can corrupt the data

the Seagate SATA's are about the fastest HDD's you'll get without paying a lot of money, since they'll be truly running at SATA speeds

I highly reccomend this drive for those reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom