What you'd recommend for cost-effective cooling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wont need it unless your running at GTX thats being overclocked to the max though
Not that I was considering overclocking, with the temps that'd bring it down (from all the reviews), maybe it's possible! One review mentioned running at 650/2000 and having a 55º C load temp...versus the factory of 500/1700 (or close anyhow)... although that was on a GTX (vs my GTS).

But since I need not impress any ladies at the moment, I'll just try the thermal paste (ordering it from Newegg momentarily). Would there be any purpose to have it on the RAM as well?

Trotter, you're saying it dropped 25º C? That's crazy...:eek:

Of course, my card is a X1950XT, but the premise is the same. Eight screws, the tiny kind that requires a precision screwdriver, and the heatsink comes off. Be sure to unplug the fan fist, though, as juggling both parts and trying to unplug it a little tough.

Clean off the old paste. I used cotten swabs w/alcohol, and then lint-free tissues w/alcohol. Apply new paste (about half what you use for a CPU), and remount the cooler.

I posted a link to the place I got my MX-1 from in the Battle of the Thermal Paste thread. They had one of the best prices, plus you can use USPS for shipping. They also carry the LiquidMetal one (or something like that) which is even better than the MX-1, and only a couple of dollars cheaper. yeah, I should have gotten it, but I'm happy with the MX-1.

Trotter, you're saying it dropped 25º C? That's crazy...
Yeah, I know. I don't think the GPU client is working correctly. I'm going to stress my GPU when I get home from work this evening and see what it does.

25C :eek: unless it had really bad contact before hand, i doubt it.

I want to put some on my X1950 pro, only problem is it has copper fins and pipes all over the gpu and a fan thing blowing inbetween this labarinth of copper. Confusing, and difficult to remove by the looks of it. But it runs cool. 42 degrees under load.

220787085456a334.jpg

See my point ? reckon it just unscrews ?

Oh yeah, just take a claw hammer and pop that baby right off! I work with alot of hardware at work and I say to myself when things get rough, "They had to use the same screwdriver to get the thing on there". Every thing comes apart, absolutely everything just ask Stephen Hawking; even a singularity (if there is or ever was one) comes apart.

Pop it out and flip it over. Odds are it will have several tiny screws holding it on. My Sapphire had four for the heatsink itself, and four that went through a crosspiece under the GPU to make sure there was good contact with the GPU.

I'm going to stress my GPU to verify my temps, though.

Yeah, thanks for the info. I know you probably overlooked this side comment in my last post - would you guys say some thermal goo should be added on the RAM as well, or just the GPU?

Er, Newegg is out of MX-1.

Ok...so a couple months later I ordered a couple tubes of MX-2 from Jab Tech - shipped the next day via Priority Mail in two days...woot! I like this place, hah. I wonder why so many shops were out of stock...(including MX-1)...is it that popular?!

But trying to take the graphics card apart was rather annoying. There were four screws on the outter edge of the plastic frame, where two were underneath the plastic/cardboard cover. Pealing it back enough to remove them made it look terrible, so I then took a half hour removing it with some Goo Gone...! There went the warranty, hah.

But after that it wasn't bad. Just a dozen more screws and 'twas all good.

Now it's all ready for the new board (awaiting the RMA now) to see the real effects of it. What I'm curious of is what they used originally...

Anyway, I'll post once the board gets back and I have a new reading. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom