AGEIA PhysX, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raknor

In Runtime
Hey guys what do you think is it worth it for me to buy a physx processor? does it even impact the current generation of games? I'm mainly thinking of crysis when i even consider buying it but what to do you all think, is it worth it?

not at all, I heard it has almost 0 game support, not to mention future GPUs have physics processors in them already I read somewhere, I'm sure virtually everyone will agree with me

Not many games support it, and even the ones that do are only extra particle effects and some increased physics. Only one game that actually has gameplay based around on it is Cellfactor, and that game's multiplayer is unbalanced and I've even heard it only works over LAN.

Even in it the hardware area it's not future-proof, Nvidia and ATI are both developing PP using GPUs. With ATI any old video card (supposably) can be used as a dedicated PPU, and Nvidia is doing PP stuff with SLI I think.

I read somewhere that some tom clancy game utilized it a little bit.. like ghost recon maybe, im not sure.

But yea, a waste of money.

NO, I wouldn't get it anyway. That's a TOTAL WASTE of money. Future games are going to use the multiple cores in the CPU (Quad Cores) to calculate physics..... from what I've read somewhere.

like I said, everyone would advise against it, only get it if your pushing 300k on the yearly income

like I said, everyone would advise against it, only get it if your pushing 300k on the yearly income

wow, where would you have to work to get a 300k yearly income??

edit: i know it was a joke.... but does anyone know anyone who earns that much a year?? LOL dang, I'd be one happy guy

wow, where would you have to work to get a 300k yearly income??

edit: i know it was a joke.... but does anyone know anyone who earns that much a year?? LOL dang, I'd be one happy guy

city engineer of LA makes around that

for the record, physics cards are basically worthless, crap drivers for crap hardware that makes no difference, gpu's and cpu's can handle the physics......and with the advent of multicore cpu's sound processing will again revert back to being done by the processor, and vista is a step in that direction considering they made it so only openal audio can actually make use hardware acceleration from a soundcard.

More than you asked for I know, but don't worry about a physics card.

Lastly, tons of people in this world make over 300k a year. Dentists, doc's, surgeons, lawyers, and probably the biggest % of people in that bracket are simply business owners. I knew a guy who made 800k a year building prisons, you can make a lot of money doing a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom