computer shuts off during gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballer

In Runtime
Ive got a problem with my brothers computer. When he plays games within minutes of loading the computer will just shut off without any type of warning or error message. My first guess was that it was getting too hot but after checking the temps I found out that wasnt the problem. Then I was almost positive it was the psu then so i picked up a new one, even though i should have just pulled the one out of mine to test it first. Brand new 500w psu, same exact problem. Hes running one dvd drive, a single core amd 64 3500, a geforce 7600gt, 1.5 gigs of ram, and two hard drives. OS is windows xp. He can leave it on for days doing just web browsing and other crap, but it turns off within minutes of loading a games. Any ideas?

Edit: dammit my lazy *** didnt scroll down to see someone had a thread just like this recently. Sorry bout that

Edit: Just because i couldnt think of anything else, I upped the shutdown temperature 5 degrees and now it hasnt done it in about a half hour. The temps arent even close to the old shutdown temp though. Could it be the motherboard? Its a Biostar Tforce 6100-939

i also have a 3500+ that runs about 40-48*C at load and 30-35*C on idle what temps do you get? is cool n quiet enabled? what core volt is it running? mine runs 1.28v, you?

It could be a few things. Check to make sure your computer is on a clean supply of power. What I mean by that is make sure it is on a primary surge protector or directly in the wall outlet. If that doesnt work uninstall and reinstall video card drivers. Also, check in bios to see if there is an automatic shutdown temperature for the processor. Maybe somehow that setting got changed and the shutdown temperature is 45C and when you start up a game it shoots the temp up to 45 and shuts off.

Thanks for the help, the highest ive seen the cpu get is 50C. It isnt overclocked. The shutdown temp was 60 and is now 65 but ive never seen it get close enough to even be a concern. Speedfan seems to be pretty accurate for me (reads about the same as bios)

After putting the new power supply in it did it once. Thats when I changed the shutdown temp and it hasnt done it since. He was playing Battlefield 2 on it last night and Guild Wars on it tonight and it hasnt shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom