quick ide channel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AznRurouni007

Baseband Member
currently i have two identical lite on 52x32x52x cd-rw burners on my secondary ide channel, one master one slave. on my primary ide channel i have one western digital 160gb on master.

i'm condidering buying a new dvd burner and was thinking how i would best integrate it into my system. i've heard that there sometimes problems with drives when you combine it with the hard drive ide channel .. since both the hard drive and dvd burners are best on master setting. if i had the dvd-burner on primary ide channel as slave, what would the effects be .. or if there is a better way to wire it completely what would that be? thanks!

The thing is, if you have a cd-drive connected the the same channel as your hard-drive, it becomes slower to access that disk. This is because data can only be transfered one way across an IDE channel, and therefore the data cant be written as its read (on the 'fly'). If you have it set-up on a different channel, the data can be written as it is read and therefore is faster.

However it makes more sense to have a burner on a different channel as you will notice a difference in speed more than if you have a burner on the same channel. Also having a cd-drive on a different channel to your burner makes copying cd's faster.

so if i wanted to mostly burn data from my hard drive to the dvd drive the best thing to do would be to put one of my cd-rw's on the primary ide channel with the hard drive, and put the dvd-rw on the secondary channel with the other cd-rw.

and if i wanted to burn a dvd from one i already own, i have to make an image first on hard drive then reburn it onto a dvd-disk since i don't have a dvd reader drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom