Most effective way to power up naked laptop/desktop harddrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sivok

Beta member
Hey all,

I work for an IT firm for my university and I've been asked to create a display for general orientation regarding what laptop/desktop hard drives look like in general. Also, I am to show what a dying harddrive sounds like (clicking, etc). I've got the harddrives I need however, how do I go about powering up these two naked drives? I'm not too savvy with computer electrics so if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it :).

Sivok

*cough*Failure im joking

take a power supply and and hook it up to the desktop HD power plug and jump start the power supply with a paper clip by touching the green +5v and any ground cable (Black) , to make the HD click simply open her up and twist the head that reads the disk (dont twist it too much or the disk wont spin)

for the laptop HD your going to have to find the schematics to power her up with a power supply

The green line coming from the PSU is actually called the PSU_ON line. When its shorted with a ground black line, it turns on and give out power. Just thought you needed clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom