Re-Considering Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have cpu-z
Im guessing fsb is the frequency.
And right now its 164.4mhz
Im not sure if thats right.

Well once i get my mobo installed ill see how the bios settings lookslike.
Hopefully you guys will know how the layout is or I can take pics and then from there if I could be instructed what to do.

The following will be my pc specs, so let me know if im able to oc:

Case-eMachines T6420
CPU-Opteron 165
Mobo-Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
Cooling-Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Ram-2X512 Corsair Valueset Dual Channel Kit and
2X512 Samsung F107EE97 Dual Channel Kit (Came with emachines)
I've run Memtest 86 all night and if found no errors.
PSU-FSP Group AX450-PN ATX12V 450W

My mobo and cooler will be arriving tomorrow.
I've read a couple guides so far, but im still lost.
Here are the links of the guides that I read:

Athlon 64 Guide - Extreme Overclocking

The Somewhat Complete AMD 64 Overclocking Guide. - EXTREME Overclocking Forums

X-bit labs - The Best-Value Dual-Core AMD Processor: Opteron 165 CPU Review (page 8)

Which one would you guys consider to be more legit.

Once I get my stuff tomorrow, ill be putting the mobo in for the first time in my life, then im going to reformat my whole pc.

Then ill do windows update, ill download prime95, since most of the ocs have been using it, ill install cpu-z and keep my memtest cd.

Any more suggestions?

Those forums may be really good. But I have not used them myself. I have a DFI motherboard with the nForce4 chipset and have used this forum DIY-Street Forums - Powered by vBulletin to get all my overclocking info with great succes. Even though you don't use a DFI board, there is still alot of great information on overclocking and which chips overclock the best. Good luck.
Read alot, and then read alot again and again and again :)

It mentioned C2D and Quads, so I barely paid attn to id, i herd amds are totaly different.
What do you think of the guides i posted up

Keep your cpu's vcore voltage at its default setting. Inrease your front side bus (FSB) a few mhz higher. save settings in bios and exit. Keep doing this untill your system becomes unstable. Then go back to the last stable FSB setting. This is a safe way to get you highest overclock without increasing your voltage. I do not recomment increasing the cpu's voltage untill you know atot more about your hardware specs. And other peoples experiances with the same hardware you are useing.

first thing:
get into your bios and familiarize yourself with it, so you know how to adjust the ram speed, cpu clock, ram voltage, cpu voltage, and ht multiplier (also ldt multiplier)

to overclock that opty:
lower the ht multiplier to at least 4 (it will be stock at 5), once you get external clock above 250, you need to drop it to 3. as a matter of fact, just drop it to 3 to begin with, that will ensure that it causes no instability.
lower your ram speed to the second lowest setting that is availible in your bios.
make sure the ram has the proper voltage and timings.
begin to increase the external cpu clock in increments of 10-15, and use prime95 or (i prefer) orthos to test for stability, at the BARE MINIMUM a couple of hours. this is just the preliminary stability test, when you reach a good clock, you can test it for 8 hours or so. if it fails the test, raise the voltage in the smallest increment possible and test again. if it still fails, raise the voltage another increment and test.
for no reason, unless you have a whopper of an overclock should you raise the voltage above, say...1.475 (at the moment...when you know a little more, a little more voltage is okay).
try these steps and post back if you have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom