Free Skinning Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay let me sum this up. Windowsblinds is the only one who can do this. They are the only one that have allowed for the per pixel shading that is required to get the "transparency" like effects. No other application can do this. Yes htere are applications out there that can do transparency but not on the the window border. They do the whole window. That is not what he is looking for.

So for free. No. Not even a uxtheme.dll replacement can do it. XP uses BMP for their skins. Which do not support transparency at all. Only PNG formats do which is what Vista uses hence why Vista can use the blurry windo effect.

The cracked versions of windowsblinds do not fully work right. I have tried them compared to my real full version and you are severly getting junk when you use them.

Windowsblinds does not use any resources. Hasnt since version 5 was released almost a year ago. Upon startup of XP/Vista Windowsblinds now replaces the UXTheme.dll and therefor doesnt use any resources. You only have the icon in the taskbar so that you can have access to the application quickly and easily.

Alright, thanks a lot Makaveli213. I'll probably just use the trial of WindowsBlinds. However, are you sure it dosn't use any resources? Last time I used it (A year or two ago), it seemed like there was a performance hit. However, I downloaded several other desktop enchancements, such as ObjectDock at the same time, so it could have been those too. I naturally figured that anything that changed the windows interface that much had to slow it down considerably. If you're sure it dosn't slow it down much, I'll head over to Stardock and download it - If possible, I'd like a few other members to confirm it just to make sure (I've got a verrrry slow inspiron 1200, and I'm paranoid about clogging it up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom