New hardware - how much damage occurred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffybunns

Beta member
I built a custom made computer approximately 3 1/2 years ago. Suddenly it wouldn't turn on anymore, so I assumed the power supply went. I ended up buying a new motherboard (gigabyte geforce 6100), new power supply (450 watts and 24 pins), new cpu (AMD athlon 64 x2), new DDR (2x1 GB cards PNY). I also bought a new tower so almost all my equipment is new. After pressin the power button (No peripherals connected, I just wanted to make sure it powered on), a spark lit up on the motherboard and I got a good wiff of a burnt smell. I unplugged it. I tried again about 20 mins later to turn it on, and the cpu fan spun for half a second, and then nothing happened. Everything was in correctly and securely (I was very thorough throughout the process). I am assuming this was a faulty motherboard, however, I do not know the extent of the damage (was my CPU also damaged)? They are letting me exchange hardware but I do not know how much I should be exchanging , or if this occurs again. What could have happened? This is only my second custom made computer and the first time it went so smoothly I didn't have any problems. I do not know what parts I should return for an exchange and what I should make sure so that this doesn't happen again. And yes, I did ground myself carefully each time I was going to touch something inside the computer. I am confused and pulling the hair out of my head! :confused:

If they allow it, exchange everything to be sure. A minimal exchange should include the PSU and motherboard.

Yeah, I think I will exchange the motherboard and CPU (I think the DDR should be fine). I'm just afraid that this will happen again, so that's why I'm wondering what could have happened to begin with. I just can't think of why it would have sparked.

The mother board could have been seated incorrectly, touching the case where it shouldn't causing it to ground out or short? If you were as thorough as you say you were than this may not have been the issue.

ha, funny that you say that. I was thorough in the sense that everything was plugged in securely, I grounded myself each time I handled anything, and followed the instructions in the manual. of course, i'm a newbie (like i said, 1st time was smooth, i guess it was beginner's luck). so i just read something on another forum about motherboard standoffs. I hadn't heard of this before, ever. So now my assumption is because i didn't prop it up on anything, it shorted out. My new tower came with a few standoffs (not 9, maybe like 3 or 4 brass ones) and a few plastic ones but i didnt know what they were. I think I'll get the replacements and try again but mounted on the standoffs that came with the tower.

was it just sitting in the case? If it was screwed down or even just sitting on the metal of the case, I mean... I've made mistakes before but thats just, crazy man.

uhh, i just screwed it into the case. nothing said to do otherwise, and it worked the first time with my old motherboard. like i said earlier, i guess that was beginners' luck?

Your old case might have had risers built into the tray, the metal is punched up so that it will only contact the mobo where the screws go in. Other cases and motherboards require you to use plastic or brass spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom