P.C. Cache size compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

kleinton

Solid State Member
hi im new to upgrading p.c.s and i was wondering if anyone could help me , my pc is old running socket 370 566mhz/L2 128/66mhz and i wanted to upgrade to either a celeron tualatin 1.3g/L2 256/100mhz or celeron 1.3g/L2 256/100mhz , motherboard supports 100 mhz FSB however both new processors im thinking off have double the L2 cache . is this a problem ? data says L2 cache is in cpu ? an not motherboard could anyone please explain further or tell me if it will work ? thanks heaps , regards all , kleinton:)

Hi kleinton,
Welcome to T.F.!!!

Your computer is so outdated. How much are you willing to spend? You know you can build a whole new computer, that will own that one, for only $300-400? It's not worth putting anymore money, into something from the 90s.

hi ya , thanks , yeah but its only $20 for the cpu , cheap option , ez upgrade , 512 ram allready , makes a good word processor / net surfer , lol , u know anything about L2 cache info ?

yeah , i kind of figured it should work all being socket 370 , but unsure about Tualatin cpus , and still would like to find out what cache differences mean and effects , thanks

Cache has little difference in the real world, and especially in your computer. What is the model of your motherboard?

Can anyone give me a definite answer regarding cache sizes and cpus please. My current cpu is L2 128 and i wanted to upgrade with a cpu with L2 256 . is this likely to be a problem ? will it work ? Information i have gathered todate suggests that L2 cache is to do with the cpu and not motherboard , which suggests to me that L2 cache size is kind of irrelevant in the upgrade. FSB is same m/board an cpu both 100mhz. im thinking of a Tualatin cpu , some paperwork sugests Tualatin cpus require special m/board, but this one meets specs, with exception of L2 cache, hence my dilema , anyone help please :confused:

As I said before, cache has little difference, and doesn't have to do with CPU compatibility.

Tualatin is a Penitum 3 processor, not Celeron....and no it is not supported by your motherboard, since the Tualatin's FSB is 133. So the Celeron, you have in mind, will work.

thanks , according to the specs listed on the tualatin cpu its FSB was 100 mhz , just had diff cache size listed , will the larger cache size translate to better performance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom