Re-Considering Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
Need help Overclocking Opteron 165

Hey guys,

Ill be getting my new mobo and cooler on thursday:
Newegg.com - Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

I just checked new egg again and they lowerd their price of the x2 4200
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

I do know the 4200 will out run the opty on stock.

Im really scared to oc, because i dont wanna blow up anything. I have no experience Overclocking, so it will be risky for me.
If their is a way for you guys to walk through with me a simple guide to get it to around 2.2 -2.4 ghz that would be awsome.

If its too complicated, im thinkin of returning my opty and getting the 4200 since it is faster on stock, except that is has lower L2 cache.

I will be saving around 10 dollars in the end, but the main problem is the risk of oc.

So what do you guys think I should do...

That is absolutely no worries, unless you're stupid enough, to shove excessive voltage, do the CPU's throat. Other than that, everything is completely safe. If it is overclocked to far, it would simply restart or shut down, to prevent damage. For AMD overclocking, I would ask nagasama, if I were you.

alright...when you mention cpus throat, what do you mean by that.
And for oc, im supose to install the mobo first then re format.
What programms should i have installed to perform stress tests.
And to contact nagasama...is it ok to pm him or will he find this thread?

lol...oops...CPU's throat, I meant the VCore voltage or CPU voltage.

Install your components, then reformat with a fresh copy of Windows, install motherboard drivers and others, update Windows, and then overclock through BIOS.

Programs to stress your CPU for stability, after overclocking, are......Prime95, Orthos, or StressCPU2.

You can PM, or just wait for his reply. Most likely he'll see this thread.

i was also afraid to overclock...but then i did some research...and then i bumped it up from 266 to 300, and then 300 to 333 without a breeze..then i went too far...and came back to 333 because i didn't have to increase voltage...point is...its safe if u have a brain

ive heard people using prime95.
Do i also have to oc my ram? is it a must.

And when im in my bios, what steps should i consider taking it. And what needs to be increased.
When Should I increase the volt...if needed.

And when you say you bumped from 266 to 300, what are you talking about?

And again, i dont want to try maxing my oc, just basic. Around 2.2ghz-2.4.

Well i still have tomorrow to read about all this. While oc and getting to the point where you finally done...how many hours or days does this all take?

You should overclock your RAM.

The main thing that needs to be increased, is the FSB.

You only increase the voltage, when your overclock is unstable...but their is a cut off point, to how much you can put. This would depend on your temperatures.

When he said bumped from 266 to 300, he meant the FSB.

Well stressing the overclock, usually takes overnight. So I guess a week.

i was also afraid to overclock...but then i did some research...and then i bumped it up from 266 to 300, and then 300 to 333 without a breeze..then i went too far...and came back to 333 because i didn't have to increase voltage...point is...its safe if u have a brain

Woah, I did that and my Windows corrupted! b1gapl was there with me when it happened! :p

how do i find out what my current fsb is?

Is their a basic oc guide you guys could link me to. I should start reading it.
I will still need your guys advice.

I just want basic.
And as far for the temps, what should it stay on avg, and what should it not exceed,
I have Everest and it shows me many temps.
When I have ATI tool, it just shows my card which is around 55-60 on idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom