After lan party, internet doesn't work..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob468

Solid State Member
Hey all, I've got a small problem (I hope)

Went to a friends house with my computer/gear, brought my Cat5 over so I could plug in directly to his router (everyone else was using wireless). So I plugged in and at first I couldn't get a connection through his router, so I went into TCP/IP properties of my ethernet adapter and found I had specific IP/DNS addresses typed in, so I changed the option to "obtain IP address automatically" and bam I was connected at his house. I saved the information (IP/DNS addresses) that was typed the settings prior to the lan party so I could change it back when I got home.

Anyways, the next day at my house I plug everything back in, plug the Cat5 in to the router at my house, and the internet doesn't work. "Well duh right? I didn't change the IP/DNS addresses back to what they were...." So I change the settings exactly back to what they were before the lan party...but I still don't get a connection, and when I plug in to my router it seems to take forever for the adapter to recognize that its plugged into the router? I'm a bit confused now, the only thing I can think of is that somehow my friends router corrupted my connection or changed some settings in my computer. So my question is, how do I get my connection to work again? And is there something I can do to reverse the effects of any corruption that may have happened? I've tried resetting the modem and router, unplugging them and plugging them back in, "repairing" the connection, and all that common stuff, but still no luck.

If you reset the router, your DHCP server on the router would be enable so most likely you may have to disable it again in order to use that specific IP address or it might be in the range that the DHCP server doesn't allow.

And if you did, double check again your TCP/IP setting just to make sure you got it type in the IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS correctly. Go into the Advanced setting to double check that there isn't any incorrect entry for the IP, Gateway and DNS.

Switch to another port on the router and try a different Ethernet cable. Reseat your NIC if it's one of those PCI cards. Reenable disable it in device manager or reinstall/update the driver.

Last try running winsockxp, helps restore your registry to fix some error with the TCP/IP in Windows. WinSock XP Fix download and review - fix XP internet connectivity from SnapFiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom