Operating system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
I'm upgrading my Mobo to a ASUS M2N AM2 socket Athlon 64 bit processor and i'm wondering which would be the best choice between Vista-64 bit home premium or 32 bit XP home OS

my other hardware im sure would be compatible

xp because you dont have 2 gigs of ram. also your proc is a little dated, not sure if your sayin that you are upgrading both or just the mobo anyway vista is hardcore, even with my specs (see sig) its giltchy not worth it yet.

well im thinking about getting 2Gb of DDR2 800 PC 6400. BUT i heard vista is a HUGE mem hog so that wouldnt be so good for gaming would it

Its not that bad really. With 2GB it should run smoothly. Vista 64bit is a good choice i think, it is more futureproof (can use more than 3.2gb ram) and drivers are not hard to come by anymore. You would only get a small performance loss against XP in games, simply because the drivers arent as optimized.

2 gigs is more than enough although 4 would be the best for vista 64 regardless if your processor isnt up to the task i would advise against it. also the main reason most of us are switching to vista is directx 10 since you have a directx 9 card it might not make sense to upgrade to vista unless you plan on getting a geforce 8 series

Hello,

well im thinking about getting 2Gb of DDR2 800 PC 6400. BUT i heard vista is a HUGE mem hog so that wouldnt be so good for gaming would it

While Windows Vista's memory requirements are larger compared to XP, and Vista's memory usage appears to be fairly large, the bulk of the memory usage is due to Vista SuperFetch - a different and more effective approach to memory management.

Coding Horror: Why Does Vista Use All My Memory?

vistamemoryxy8.jpg

You can see on my system that a fair chunk of the RAM is being used as a cache (547MB of RAM) to improve system performance, leaving just 29MB of RAM unused while the rest is being used by processes and programs. RAM allocation changes depending on my activity. So for example, if I were to open up Corel PaintShop Pro XI, cache memory will decrease so that memory can be allocated to the program.

Ideally, there shouldn't be any unused memory. Memory should always be used and allocated effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom